OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OMP is forever loading!

Are you responsible for making OMP work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OMP:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OMP Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OMP Development subforum.

OMP is forever loading!

Postby Albert » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:39 pm

Hello,
After some initial difficulties, I was able to install OMP at http://books.iengj.com. Nevertheless, the site is loading all the time. You can see the attached picture. If I log in as administrator it opens up a white page and if I click on “Not a user in this site – Register” nothing happens because the loading is going on.
The server satisfies all OMP requirements and on it, we are running two other OJS sites.
I would appreciate very much your help.
Regards,
Albert
Attachments
InstallationError.jpg
InstallationError.jpg (49.75 KiB) Viewed 503 times
Albert

Re: OMP is forever loading!

Postby asmecher » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:48 pm

Hi Albert,

Some important pieces of the site aren't being loaded -- particularly most of the Javascript. Are you sure all files are present (e.g. templates/common/minifiedScripts.tpl)? If you're using URL rewriting, try disabling it for the moment to make sure it's not introducing problems.

Incidentally, endless spinners can usually be debugged by using a browser developer toolset like Firebug for Firefox.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Albert » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:20 pm

asmecher wrote:Hi Albert,

Some important pieces of the site aren't being loaded -- particularly most of the Javascript. Are you sure all files are present (e.g. templates/common/minifiedScripts.tpl)? If you're using URL rewriting, try disabling it for the moment to make sure it's not introducing problems.

Incidentally, endless spinners can usually be debugged by using a browser developer toolset like Firebug for Firefox.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hello Alec,
Thank you so much for your quickly reply. Yes, the folder “Template” was lacking and after uploading it the site was able to load in. I am starting to set up the site now. I will come by if something goes wrong.
Again, thank you so much!
Regards,
Albert
Albert

Postby mcyzyk » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:14 pm

Same problem here. I had issues using the Patch method to upgrade from 1.0 to 1.1 (it kept trying to download the correct patch file, but from the /ocs/ directory up on the PKP server), so I then just copied the new codebase up, overwrote the DB config file, updated the DB, and I'm up and running. Except for these spinners... "templates/common/minifiedScripts.tpl" is present and accessible. Searching for something else that might be missing, but I can't imagine what it would be -- this is a fresh download of the entire codebase!

Mark
mcyzyk

Postby asmecher » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:43 pm

Hi Mark,

Have you checked with a tool like Firebug to see whether the sub-request is generating an error? It could also be in your log file.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby mcyzyk » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:24 am

Firebug reports this!:

Blocked loading mixed active content "http://www.google.com/jsapi"
https://jhepp.library.jhu.edu/omp/index.php/index/login
Line 0

Error: Server error: Server returned no or invalid data!
https://jhepp.library.jhu.edu/omp/lib/p ... Handler.js
Line 331

I'm thinking it's that second error that is causing the continuous spinners to, er, keep spinning. Not sure how to fix, though.

Mark
mcyzyk

Postby asmecher » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:26 am

Hi Mark,

Those are the Javascript error messages; you should be able to see each HTTP request on the console, though, and one of those will correspond to the spinner that never stops spinning. Expand it to view the server's response and see if there's a PHP-style error message there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby mcyzyk » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:39 am

Thanks, Alex!

"All" messages from the Firebug Console are comprised of this:

Blocked loading mixed active content "http://www.google.com/jsapi"
GET https://jhepp.library.jhu.edu/omp/lib/p ... %2Cpt%2Cen

200 OK
18ms
tiny_mce_gzip.js (line 60)
GET https://jhepp.library.jhu.edu/omp/index ... 5013753944

200 OK
206ms
jquery.min.js (line 6054)
GET https://jhepp.library.jhu.edu/omp/index ... 5013753952

200 OK
225ms
jquery.min.js (line 6054)
Error: Server error: Server returned no or invalid data!

throw new Error('Server error: Server returned no or invalid data!');

Handler.js (line 331)

That is, all execution stops at that Javascript error. I haven't changed anything on my server, other than the OMP codebase, i.e., have not changed anything in Apache or PHP. Puzzled!...

Mark
mcyzyk

Postby asmecher » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:44 am

Hi Mark,

I'm still not sure you're looking in the right area. Your firebug window should look something like the attached screenshot; each row starting with "GET" represents a request. You can use "+" to the left of the row to see the request details; in the example screenshot the bottom one has been expanded.

The endless spinner represents a GET request and response that couldn't be parsed. Look through each GET request by expanding it and seeing if there's a PHP-style error message in the response.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Attachments
firebug.png
Firebug screenshot
firebug.png (73.98 KiB) Viewed 423 times
asmecher

Postby mcyzyk » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:34 am

Here is a screenshot of my Firebug output:
Attachments
firebugOMP.jpg
firebugOMP.jpg (70.27 KiB) Viewed 388 times
mcyzyk

Postby asmecher » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:15 am

Hi Mark,

Look through each GET request by expanding it and seeing if there's a PHP-style error message in the response.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby mcyzyk » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:11 am

I expanded all three GET requests and just don't see any PHP-style error messages in them!

What I do see is this, the error being thrown in that final Handler.js file:

$.pkp.classes.Handler.prototype.handleJson = function(jsonData) {
if (!jsonData) {
throw new Error('Server error: Server returned no or invalid data!');
}

So it's looking for a JSON packet to be sent and it's not finding it. Not sure why?!

Mark
mcyzyk

Postby asmecher » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:43 pm

Hi Mark,

I picked the URL out of your last screenshot. The last two requests don't return any data at all. This suggests (at a guess) that your PHP is not configured to send error messages to the browser, but that OMP is hitting a PHP error, so there's probably something relevant in your PHP error log.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby mcyzyk » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:12 pm

Got it! This is the only PHP error I'm seeing in my log:

[Mon Jul 14 14:54:25 2014] [error] [client 10.166.37.45] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function json_encode() in /var/www/html/omp/lib/pkp/classes/core/JSONMessage.inc.php on line 162, referer: https://jhepp.library.jhu.edu/omp/index.php/index/login

"undefined function". Uh oh!

Mark
mcyzyk

Postby asmecher » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:38 pm

Hi Mark,

Do you have a PHP version of at least 5.2? PHP 5.2 or newer is required for OMP; see docs/README for system requirements.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Next

Return to OMP Technical Support