OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Catalog Entry of Edited Volume

Are you responsible for making OMP work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OMP:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OMP Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OMP Development subforum.

Catalog Entry of Edited Volume

Postby heidelberg » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:55 am

Dear forum,

we are using OMP 1.1 and there is something wrong when displaying the catalog entry
of a edited volume:

1. The Bio statement that was inserted in the contributers list is not display, i.e. it only says "array"
2. It says "About the author" even though, the persons' role is "volume editor".

synopsis.png
synopsis.png (159.61 KiB) Viewed 1870 times

-----------

The next screenshot is not an error but it is not really best practice:

catalog.png
catalog.png (39.4 KiB) Viewed 1870 times

Under the title of the edited volume there is the list of contributors - unfortunately, there is no option if you only want to have the volume editors or authors
(or other roles) displayed. When working with edited volumes you do not want to have a list of all authors displayed that takes much more
room on display then the title of the volume itself. (I.e. In this example we have not even added all the chapter authors ...)
    1.) It would be good if there is an option where you can chose if the contibutor is displayed in this view of the catalog title.
    2.) Also, there is the case that a person has more than one role from the contributors list, i.e. volume editor & chapter author. At the moment,
    you have to insert this person twice with both roles in the contributors list. Maybe the use of check boxes would be better than the use of radio buttons when adding contributors.
Can you consider those changes for the next release?

Kind regards,
Stefanie
heidelberg

Re: Catalog Entry of Edited Volume

Postby asmecher » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:59 am

Hi Stefanie,

A new option was added to OMP 1.1 that should be useful in suppressing some contributor roles from the listing. See http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=8483.

As for the "Array" problem, watch http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=8663 -- a fix will be posted there shortly. [Edit: I've posted a fix.]

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby heidelberg » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:15 pm

Hi Alec,

thanks for your reply.
1.) Unfortunately, the "array" Problem still exists, even though I applied the patch.
(I added the contibutors via Management --> Catalog --> Choose Title / Entry --> List of Contributors / Add Contributor)

2.) Also, regarding the contibutors list - I am already using version OMP 1.1 - so this already should be included, right?
However, I do not want to supress the naming of the role - I want the option that I can chose if I want to have, e.g. the authors, displayed at all.
I made changes to the image I sent in my first post, to make clear what I mean:
catalog_new.png
catalog_new.png (41.91 KiB) Viewed 1836 times

We would need the choice that only volume editors are listed below the title.

Could you have a look again?

Best wishes,
Stefanie
heidelberg

Postby asmecher » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:05 am

Hi Stefanie,

1. See Comment 4 -- the patch will correct new data but you'll need to take an extra step to correct old data.

2. Will you need to suppress this information in a manner specific to each submission, or will this be done consistently based on role? (For example, will your press always list Volume Editors as contributors, but never Authors?) Or will you need specific control for each article?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby heidelberg » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:51 am

Hi Alec,

1.) this works fine for me, up to the point, that it still says "About the author" even though the person is supposed to be a Volume Editor.
So, for volume editors it should actually say "About the editor/volume editor". The text displayed should differentiate between the different roles.

2.) As for the Edited Volumes on the catalog page where all the titles are listed (where it say "Browse X titles" on the top) we would always only
list Volume Editors underneath the title but on the contents tab of a specific title (when clicking on the title link from the catalog page) we also want to have the authors listed.
For a monograph (with one or more authors) we would want to have the author/s displayed on the catalog titles page. So we would need a specific control (based on the roles) for each catalog entry/submission.

I also attached an image of a real example (catalog_1.png), so you can see that the catalog listing with having all authors and volume editors is not very nice - it is too much information at this stage. But the information is then needed for further information on the content tap (contents_1.png). To make it complete, the third attachment is a screenshot from the synopsis tab (synopsis_1.png). Maybe it would be nice if you could also choose the role that should be listed here.

Kind regards,
Stefanie
Attachments
synopsis_1.png
synopsis_1.png (180.8 KiB) Viewed 1786 times
contents_1.png
contents_1.png (101.61 KiB) Viewed 1786 times
catalog_1.png
catalog_1.png (28.09 KiB) Viewed 1786 times
heidelberg

Postby JasonNugent » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:51 am

Hi everyone,

If I can jump into the conversation. Just a few comments about the "About the Author" part, first. That's a locale key that is displayed for every person associated with a monograph, regardless of role. It's just in the template next to the person's name. What might be possible would be to pass the person's role into the locale key so it is displayed there instead.

For the second point, regarding whether or not to list authors in the "browse" or "contents" tabs, perhaps this could be resolved by looking at the type of submission. Regular monographs could have authors included everywhere. Could we do something for Edited works, specifically, where only editors are displayed for browsing? Then, specific chapters could have the authors associated with them displayed when looking at the Contents tab. That might be a minimal amount of work.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby heidelberg » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:40 am

Hi Jason,

that sounds good to me.

Best wishes,
Stefanie
heidelberg

Postby asmecher » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:16 am

Hi Jason,

Likewise. Could you file that in Bugzilla for OMP 1.1.1?

Thanks,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby JasonNugent » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:08 am

JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby JasonNugent » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:55 am

Hi Stefanie,

This took a bit more thought than originally anticipated, but I've committed two changes that will resolve this for you. The first is against OMP itself:

https://github.com/pkp/omp/commit/7d60e ... 8ccb09367b

(note that you may need to make a change to your German locale as well)

And these are against your pkp/lib directory.

https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/commit/8 ... cb38ca7521
https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/commit/8 ... a4c9b9a75f

This will be in OMP 1.1.1 if you'd rather wait.

It adds a checkbox to the author form on the contributors grid so you can decide if you want that person included when browsing or looking at author strings. There is a small schema change to the authors table, so a run of 'php tools/upgrade.php' is required.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby heidelberg » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:01 am

Hi Jason,

there was a problem with the sql query from lib/pkp/classes/submission/PKPAuthorDAO.inc.php line 74
Code: Select all
. 'ORDER BY seq',

I got a mysql error and therefore I changed the line to
. ' ORDER BY seq'
(inserting a blank in front of the ORDER).

And I have just seen that when editing the catalog entry --> List of Contributors the last column "In Browse Lists" is not ticked when
the contirbutor is selected.

But all the rest is just what we needed! :-)

Thanks a lot,
Stefanie
heidelberg

Postby JasonNugent » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:34 am

Hi Stefanie,

I caught the SQL problem after I posted, and fixed it, but forgot to come back and update my previous thread. As for the missing check, just make sure you have this template and you should be fine:

https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/commit/8 ... a4c9b9a75f

Glad that it's working out for you.

Cheers,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby heidelberg » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:25 pm

Hi Jason,

I double checked now and I do have the emplate you mentioned added in the pkp/lib tree directory.
But the green tick is still missing (there should be one next to the primary contact - first person in the list)
tick.png
tick.png (65.67 KiB) Viewed 1361 times

Am I missing something else?
Stefanie
heidelberg

Postby JasonNugent » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:43 am

Hi Stefanie,

Can you have someone check the error log for anything? a missing template or an error will generate a PHP error when the grid is loaded.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby heidelberg » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:32 am

Hi Jason,

I got it now:
I included the file includeInBrowse.tpl in lib/pkp/templates/controllers/grid/users/author/form but it should be included one
level above, i.e. lib/pkp/templates/controllers/grid/users/author/

But I came accross another problem now:
if I want to start another submission and on the first tab "1. Prepare" I selected either monograph or edited volume and the clicked
"save and continue" nothing else happens anymore. Next to the button is a loading symbol but it will not get out of this first step.

The error log shows the following:
[17-Apr-2014 09:23:42 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Declaration of AboutContextHandler::authorize() should be compatible with PKPHandler::authorize($request, &$args, $roleAssignments, $enforceRestrictedSite = true) (/pages/about/AboutContextHandler.inc.php:19)
[17-Apr-2014 09:23:43 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Declaration of ReportPlugin::manage() should be compatible with Plugin::manage($verb, $args, &$message, &$messageParams, &$pluginModalContent = NULL) (/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/ReportPlugin.inc.php:181)
[17-Apr-2014 09:23:43 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Declaration of PKPUsageStatsReportPlugin::display() should be compatible with ReportPlugin::display($args) /lib/pkp/plugins/generic/usageStats/PKPUsageStatsReportPlugin.inc.php:19)
[17-Apr-2014 09:23:43 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Declaration of PKPAcronPlugin::manage() should be compatible with GenericPlugin::manage($verb, $args, &$message, &$messageParams, &$pluginModalContent = NULL) (lib/pkp/plugins/generic/acron/PKPAcronPlugin.inc.php:220)
[17-Apr-2014 09:23:43 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Declaration of BrowseBlockPlugin::getContents() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getContents(&$templateMgr, $request = NULL) (/plugins/blocks/browse/BrowseBlockPlugin.inc.php:75)
[17-Apr-2014 09:24:11 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Declaration of ReportPlugin::manage() should be compatible with Plugin::manage($verb, $args, &$message, &$messageParams, &$pluginModalContent = NULL) (/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/ReportPlugin.inc.php:181)
[17-Apr-2014 09:24:11 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Declaration of PKPUsageStatsReportPlugin::display() should be compatible with ReportPlugin::display($args) (/lib/pkp/plugins/generic/usageStats/PKPUsageStatsReportPlugin.inc.php:19)
[17-Apr-2014 09:24:11 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Declaration of PKPAcronPlugin::manage() should be compatible with GenericPlugin::manage($verb, $args, &$message, &$messageParams, &$pluginModalContent = NULL) (/lib/pkp/plugins/generic/acron/PKPAcronPlugin.inc.php:220)
[17-Apr-2014 09:24:11 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Declaration of PKPSubmissionHandler::authorize() should be compatible with PKPHandler::authorize($request, &$args, $roleAssignments, $enforceRestrictedSite = true) (/lib/pkp/pages/submission/PKPSubmissionHandler.inc.php:258)
[17-Apr-2014 09:24:11 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Declaration of BrowseBlockPlugin::getContents() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getContents(&$templateMgr, $request = NULL) (/plugins/blocks/browse/BrowseBlockPlugin.inc.php:75)
[17-Apr-2014 09:24:11 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Declaration of ValidatorUrl::getRegexp() should be compatible with ValidatorUri::getRegexp($allowedSchemes = NULL) (/lib/pkp/classes/validation/ValidatorUrl.inc.php:19)
[17-Apr-2014 09:24:11 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Declaration of SubmissionSubmitForm::fetch() should be compatible with Form::fetch($request, $template = NULL, $display = false) (/lib/pkp/classes/submission/form/SubmissionSubmitForm.inc.php:21)
[17-Apr-2014 09:24:11 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Declaration of PKPSubmissionSubmitStep1Form::validate() should be compatible with Form::validate($callHooks = true) /lib/pkp/classes/submission/form/PKPSubmissionSubmitStep1Form.inc.php:18)
[17-Apr-2014 09:24:11 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Declaration of PKPSubmissionSubmitStep1Form::execute() should be compatible with Form::execute($object = NULL) /lib/pkp/classes/submission/form/PKPSubmissionSubmitStep1Form.inc.php:18)
[17-Apr-2014 09:24:11 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Declaration of SubmissionSubmitStep1Form::initData() should be compatible with PKPSubmissionSubmitStep1Form::initData($data = Array) /classes/submission/form/SubmissionSubmitStep1Form.inc.php:19)
[17-Apr-2014 09:24:11 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Non-static method PKPRequest::getUserVar() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context (/lib/pkp/classes/form/Form.inc.php:366)
[17-Apr-2014 09:24:11 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Non-static method PKPRequest::_checkThis() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context (/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPRequest.inc.php:547)
[17-Apr-2014 09:24:11 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Non-static method PKPRequest::getUserVar() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context (/lib/pkp/classes/form/Form.inc.php:366)
[17-Apr-2014 09:24:11 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Non-static method PKPRequest::_checkThis() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context (/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPRequest.inc.php:547)
[17-Apr-2014 09:24:11 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Non-static method PKPRequest::isPost() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context (/lib/pkp/classes/form/validation/FormValidatorPost.inc.php:38)
[17-Apr-2014 09:24:11 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Non-static method PKPRequest::_checkThis() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context (/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPRequest.inc.php:372)
[17-Apr-2014 09:24:11 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Declaration of Mods34SchemaSubmissionAdapter::injectMetadataIntoDataObject() should be compatible with & MetadataDataObjectAdapter::injectMetadataIntoDataObject(&$metadataDescription, &$targetDataObject) (/lib/pkp/plugins/metadata/mods34/filter/Mods34SchemaSubmissionAdapter.inc.php:375)
[17-Apr-2014 09:24:11 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Declaration of Mods34SchemaMonographAdapter::injectMetadataIntoDataObject() should be compatible with & Mods34SchemaSubmissionAdapter::injectMetadataIntoDataObject(&$mods34Description, &$submission, $authorClassName) (/plugins/metadata/mods34/filter/Mods34SchemaMonographAdapter.inc.php:21)
[17-Apr-2014 09:24:11 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Declaration of Mods34SchemaMonographAdapter::extractMetadataFromDataObject() should be compatible with Mods34SchemaSubmissionAdapter::extractMetadataFromDataObject(&$submission, $authorMarcrelatorRole = 'aut') (/plugins/metadata/mods34/filter/Mods34SchemaMonographAdapter.inc.php:21)
[17-Apr-2014 09:24:11 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Declaration of Dc11SchemaPublicationFormatAdapter::injectMetadataIntoDataObject() should be compatible with & MetadataDataObjectAdapter::injectMetadataIntoDataObject(&$metadataDescription, &$targetDataObject) (/plugins/metadata/dc11/filter/Dc11SchemaPublicationFormatAdapter.inc.php:216)
[17-Apr-2014 09:24:11 Europe/Berlin] CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Declaration of Dc11SchemaPublicationFormatAdapter::extractMetadataFromDataObject() should be compatible with MetadataDataObjectAdapter::extractMetadataFromDataObject(&$sourceDataObject) (/plugins/metadata/dc11/filter/Dc11SchemaPublicationFormatAdapter.inc.php:216)
[17-Apr-2014 09:24:11 Europe/Berlin] omp: DB Error: Column count doesn't match value count at row 1

Can you help?
Stefanie
heidelberg

Next

Return to OMP Technical Support