OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Producing perfect images for the catalog

Are you responsible for making OMP work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OMP:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OMP Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OMP Development subforum.

Producing perfect images for the catalog

Postby stefan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:08 pm

Hi,

Do you have any recommendations for producing catalog images? What is the perfect size?

I experimented with

convert tmp.pdf\[0\] -resize 204x -background white -alpha remove cover.jpg

and simply

convert tmp.pdf\[0\] cover.jpg

where tmp.pdf is the book, but both look horrible.

The white color of the title is blurred.

This is what we have:

http://langsci-press.org/catalog/book/16

There could be an option (or default) to take the first page of a book.

Best wishes

Stefan
stefan

Re: Producing perfect images for the catalog

Postby asmecher » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:22 pm

Hi Stefan,

I don't think most servers will have the toolset on hand to generate cover images from PDFs, though I agree it would be a useful addition for those with the ghostscript toolset. I see quite a bit of jpeg artifacting in that image; you might try increasing the jpeg image quality to see if that improves the situation. Alternately, you could try using PNG files, which will do a better job of reproducing text.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby stefan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:05 am

Hi,

Ah, now I understand: You do not do any scaling at all. It is just the picture I put there and the browser does the scaling. I users click the image, they get the full image. So I should put a large image into the catalog.

Thanks for clarifying.

Best

Stefan
stefan

Postby asmecher » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:17 am

Hi Stefan,

That's true for the "full-sized" image, which appears on the book's page. However, OMP does generate the thumbnail that goes into the main catalog list; that code is in controllers/tab/catalogEntry/form/CatalogEntryCatalogMetadataForm.inc.php. If you follow the same rough aspect ratio as the default book image, you should be OK for the book view; the catalog thumbnail will be generated to suit.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OMP Technical Support