OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

How PKP harvester confront the absence of Flow control?

Open Harvester Systems support questions and answers, bug reports, and development issues.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome.

How PKP harvester confront the absence of Flow control?

Postby Marc » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:55 am

Hi all,

I am studying the PKP harvester features and learning about how data and service providers work. If I am right, PKP harvester don’t include flow control mechanism and don’t understand responses with Resumption Token from the data providers. Isn’t it?

In the OAI for Beginners - the Open Archives Forum online tutorial of the Open Archives Forum (http://www.oaforum.org/tutorial/english/page4.htm) I’ve found:

“Service Provider: resumption token
Resumption Token is optional from the Data Provider’s point of view. However, it is mandatory for Service Providers in order to retrieve complete lists in response to protocol requests that return lists (ListRecords, ListIdentifiers, ListSets) in order to resume sequences of incomplete lists. In order to provide flow control, Resumption Token must 'recognise' that the response from the Data Provider contains an incomplete list and then reissue the OAI request to the Data Provider in order to get next part of the list.”

If the data provider uses resumption tokens, how PKP harvester can overcome this difficulty?

Besides, PKP harvester understands XOAI-PMH?

Thanks a lot and bests regards!

Marc
Marc

Postby asmecher » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:36 am

Hi Marc,

Actually, the Harvester -- both 1.x and 2.x -- does support resumption tokens and flow control as specified in the OAI-PMH spec.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Marc » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:12 am

Thanks Alec, I have read I don’t remember where that PKP harvester does not support flow control.
But is better if it does!

Marc
Marc

Return to Open Harvester Systems Support and Development