OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Upgrade to 2.3.5 questions, 1st timer.

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Upgrade to 2.3.5 questions, 1st timer.

Postby Jim » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:25 pm

Wanting to upgrade from 2.3.3.1 to 2.3.5 and I'm trying to avoid problems. I've not done this before. Just getting up to speed with LAMP too.

What I have done is read the UPGRADE doc after downloading the OCS-2.3.5-tar.gz and ocs-2.3.3.1_to_2.3.5.patch.gz.
I've also read the doc "Upgrading to OCS 2.3.4? Please read". This doc mentions increasing the timeout in PHP.
The UPGRADE doc says to increase the timeout only if you're using PHP in safe mode, and it also mentions increasing the Apache timeout.
In our php.ini file, safe mode is disabled.

So my first newbie question, should I increase the time out or not in PHP and Apache2?
After reading the upgrade doc seems like I should just patch. So patch or fresh install?

I've also read some of the OJS/OCS Quick Reference version 1 manual. Just the section on Upgrading and backing up.
This manual is dated 23June2008, is there a more current manual I should be reading?
I used the mysqldump cmd from the manual to make a db backup. I used tar to make an archive of the OCS folders and files.
I've moved them both into a tmp directory.
I've a printed copy of the config.ini.php file, and a copy of the file in the tmp directory.

To apply the patch should I use the cmd patch -p1 < patch_file or the cmdline tool php tools/upgrade.php patch?
Seems like it should be /osc/tools/upgrade.php patch, because the the OJS/OCS Quick Reference version 1 manual
mentions using that cmd to update the db.
The way I read it that cmd will do both parts of the upgrade, upgrade the code and then update the db. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Any other suggestions on things to do to ensure a smooth upgrade?

uname -a - Linux version 2.6.26-1-686,
cat /proc/version - Debian Lenny (gcc version 4.1.3 20080704)
mysql \s - ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.51a
nginx -v - nginx/0.6.32

PHP5 - struggled with getting the exact version.

Apache is 2.2 I believe , it's at least Apache2, httpd -v returned a cmd not found. so I don't have the exact details.

I'm planning on upgrading Debian, Apache, PHP5, Nginx, etc, but OCS first.

Thanks
Jim

Re: Upgrade to 2.3.5 questions, 1st timer.

Postby Jim » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:44 am

No replies?

Is this considered a poorly asked question?
Jim

Postby asmecher » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:34 am

Hi Jim,

If you haven't modified your installation, a full package upgrade is generally the best way to go; the patches don't include binaries so any images that have been introduced since the version you started with won't be included. However, the patch upgrade should work fine, since OTOH there aren't many binary changes between 2.3.3-1 and 2.3.5.

The two commands "patch -p1 < patch_file" and "php tools/upgrade.php patch" are equivalent; the upgrade.php script runs the patch tool internally. Use whichever you feel most comfortable with.

As long as you have a backup, don't worry overmuch about hitting a timeout; if you do, or the upgrade fails for another reason, you'll have to restore your DB from backup, address the issue, and try again.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Jim » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:03 pm

Thanks Alec.

I think we're in fair shape. According to the guy who uses the app things appear to be pretty much in order.

I ran "php tools/upgrade.php patch" to upgrade the code.

The routine ran clean but the last line read ERROR: Failed to apply patch. That made me think for a minute.
I decided it only applied to the last file "tools/upgrade.php".

Then I ran "php tools/upgrade.php upgrade" to upgrade the database.
I got the msg "Successfully upgraded to version 2.3.5.0" at the end of the routine.

Then restarted Apache.
Checked the System Information and the current version is described as 2.3.5.0
Jim

Postby asmecher » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:00 pm

Hi Jim,

If the patch failed to apply, you should find .orig and possibly .rej files lying around your installation. If so, then there was some sort of modification or file permission problem that conflicted with the new changes. Do you have the full output from the patch command?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OCS Technical Support