OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Problems Importing with Users XML Plugin

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Re: Problems Importing with Users XML Plugin

Postby asmecher » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:58 am

Hi Nora,

I would still suggest validating it against the DTD. The DTD is in plugins/importexport/users/users.dtd and you can use any standard XML validator to check the XML against the DTD. (I haven't tried it, but http://www.xmlvalidation.com/ should work.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby tshore » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:30 am

So frustrated with this thread.

Ran my latest users.xml through the validation site you suggested.

Code: Select all
2 errors have been found!
Errors in the XML document:
   3:   8   Document root element "users", must match DOCTYPE root "issue".
Errors in file xml-schema:
   12:   3   The markup in the document preceding the root element must be well-formed.

I'm not sure that this provides us with any info to allow us to solve the problem.
tshore

Postby asmecher » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:36 am

Hi Trudy,

I suspect you used the DTD from the native import/export, not the users import/export; try plugins/importexport/users/users.dtd in the validation process.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby tshore » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:47 pm

I used plugins/importexport/users/users.dtd when I validated the file.

Just for fun, I first tried to import using the Conference Manager Import/Export plugin and I got exactly 50 users. Although, when I looked at the users table in the DB there were exactly 50 entries, including the admin entry that was setup when I installed OCS. So I guess that it actually stopped after importing 49 users.

Almost the same error as before:
Code: Select all
DB error:column 'email' cannot be null

Then I went ahead and imported using the command line and it seemed to work fine.
tshore

Postby asmecher » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:30 am

Hi Trudy,

FYI, the discrepancy between "users" and "issues" already has a patch -- see bug #8081 in the recommended patches list.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby asmecher » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:56 am

Hi all,

FYI, we've just encountered a PHP configuration directive that might result in this kind of behavior. If PHP's max_input_vars is enabled and set too low, it will result in errors similar to those reported above ("DB Error: Column 'first_name' cannot be null" or similar). You can tell if this is happening by looking at your PHP log, where you'll see something like "PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000."

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Previous

Return to OCS Technical Support