OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

User conference registration report error on .csv file

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

User conference registration report error on .csv file

Postby ramon » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:05 pm

Hello all,

I searched the forum for something similar but couldn't find anything (a very quick search as I'm overwhelmed with last-minute requests from the conference managers).
I exported the very useful registration report from OCS 2.3.3-1 and got some records with errors.
There was no specific pattern I could find, but the problems came from the following fields:
  • Institution
  • Mailing address
  • Special requests

Quite a large number of the fields in the records had the double-quotes (") character in the end. Some had quite a bit of text and multiple lines, as well as commas and other charcters (slashes, hifens, etc). When imported into MS Excel, these "messed" fields were broken into new rows in the spreadsheet. In records where the problem showed in more than one field, the data was split in the amount of errors occurred.
For example, a record with an Institution field that had multiple lines could be split into more than one row.

This demanded a manual correction of the data, as there was no special character visible that could create such a mess. My guess is that it's some sort of copy-paste, as the great majority of the fields came up correctly.

Anyone with a similar experience? Any solutions?
I'm not sure TinyMCE was updated. Is there a way to know what version is available?

If necessary, I can provide the CSV for analysis.
ramon

Re: User conference registration report error on .csv file

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:59 pm

Hi Ramon,

I'm guessing that it's probably a copy/paste problem, especially as those are the fields that allow TinyMCE. You might be running into Bug 6626, in which case you may have better luck opening up the .csv in OpenOffice rather than Word. It could also be Bug 6080, or possibly one other of a few recently-fixed TinyMCE/HTML encoding bugs that have surfaced over the past little while. Am I right in assuming that your current version of OCS is not actually 2.3.3-1? You may be best served by upgrading to 2.3.4, which contains a great number of fixes over 2.3.3-1, which in turn includes a number of fixes over previous versions.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby ramon » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:23 am

Hello James,

Unfortunately, OCS 2.3.4 came up along the way and we didn't have the guts to upgrade while the event was under way.
I will request upgrading of OCS as well as TinyMCE if available.

[UPDATE]
After reading your bug reports more carefully, I realized that our problem is different. In Excel I have to go to Data > Import external data and then load the CSV. At least, that's how Windows handles .CSV data. When loading I can set the character set to UTF-8, which brings all special characters fine. The only problem is that it gets mixed up with content within the fields I mentioned, but there is nothing besides invisible line-breaks I assume. Excel breaks the data into as many lines as there may be line-breaks, which makes me edit line by line to "merge" them into the correct field (cut and paste).
I'm not sure if Bug 6080 may be causing the line breaking...

Meanwhile, instead of a .csv file, I would suggest adding the following as plugins, which seem very possible:
  1. Attendance list
    • This would provide a grid (header row as Full name, Email, Signature) with the list of registered users (maybe with the option to include only paid or not paid registrants), with their email and a space to sign their attendance to certify they were actually present.
  2. Registrants list
    • This would provide a grid with limited selected data (full name, institution, email, registration status - paid or not), for a local check at the registration desk.

Both would need to be printed as they require the person to sign the list at the event.
When I had access to the database and the server, I would write a simple PHP script to do this, but now that I don't, it seems important to have these reports handy for the conference.
ramon

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:49 pm

Hi Ramon,

IIRC, the current registrants report already includes the information you list in your two suggested reports. Are you specifying that these lists could/should be listed or retrievable elsewhere, or in another format? There's also the "Registrations" listing, available to Conference Managers for each Scheduled Conference, that lists in HTML the user/registration type/registered/paid/action items for each registration. Let me know if I'm missing something.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby ramon » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:21 am

Hello James,

Since I didn't work at the conference I'm only guessing that the way the data is displayed makes it "unusual" for regular folks to find information. They are used to "manual" labor in these situations, so typing the name or part of it is not "ideal". There is also no way in the OCS the "check" that the person attended the conference, although they may have payed.
Again, they are "forced" to use the system which has never been taught to them. I myself don't use it, so I don't know some of it's features or how to use them fully, in order to provide better support.

The registration page lists the user (full name it seems, registration type, date registered, date paid, and editing/deleting options, but it doesn't allow me to select everything and generate a table with the necessary data for an attendance list (no e-mail, for example).

Since I haven't upgraded, I haven't checked the result of the Registration report available in the Stats & Reports page, but the traditional .CSV reports bring too much information (not configurable), requiring manual clean-up (merging user's name to one cell, removing unnecessary data, formatting, re-organizing, etc).

Having that said, these seem the features they would like available, and seem unavailable yet as far as I could tell (please check with other people, especially those who manage and conference staff members, if these are a general consensus, to make sure these would help more than one conference):
  1. print a listing to sign in attendance (not available; needs quite a bit of work to produce manually, although the data is there to automate this)
  2. listing with full name and mailing address to print self-adhesive labels to mail certificates, receipts, etc (same as above)
  3. I just checked the workings of the registration page and although it doesn't have an alphabetic listing, the search can do it by typing the starting letter. However, this brings any of the name's parts that start with the letter, which is somewhat confusing (either first, middle or last name starts with B, but the page is ordered by first name). Maybe reduce the option "starts with" to the first name, instead. You'll need to discuss this further. Also, the page could have a specific item counter, so we don't have to navigate through 2 or 3 pages when filtering by low-precision parameters (part of name, letter, etc), bringing a subset of data that may be manageable but still has over 25 items.

Also, although the listing is interesting, there may be locations where the Registrar's desk doesn't have Internet connection, which would require a printed list for fast reference (blackouts are also quite common in certain locations and times of year).
  4. Another list would be the author's full name and title to produce certificates of participation. This one is tricky because of multiple author issues. Do you generate an individual or group certificate? If grouped, which seems the most adequate personally, you should generate as many as there are authors, in the order listed, to guarantee a complete record. This may/should/NOT be made available to authors, enabling them a self-made certificate or copy? This could be "ported" to reviewers, as some institutions view that type of work as part of research activities, counts for ratings at work or resumé, etc...
ramon

Postby kstranac » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:21 am

It sounds like much of this could be improved with the creation of some specific report plugins. Right now, OCS just produces a small group of master reports, and the conference organizers need to manipulate the CSV for their particular needs in Excel or some other spreadsheet software. Developing some specific report plugins could make their lives easier. If anyone on the forum wants to volunteer to create some of these, that would be a great contribution to OCS. Here are some possible report plugins:

1. Attendance Monitering Report. This would be a subset of the current Registrant Report and should include: First name, Middle name, Last name, Affiliation, Date Registered. Any other fields?

2. Mailing List Report. This would again be a subset of the current Registrant Report. It should include: First name, Middle name, Last name, Mailing Address, Date Registered. Any other fields?

3. Name Tag Report. This would again be a subset of the current Registrant Report. It should include: First name, Middle name, Last name, Affiliation, Date Registered. Any other fields?

4. Certificate of Participation Report. This would again be a subset of the current Registrant Report. It should include: First name, Middle name, Last name, Affiliation. Any other fields?

5. Accepted Papers Report. This would be a subset of the current Papers Report, but only include papers that have been accepted. All unaccepted papers would not appear on this report.

Any other ideas for reports? Any additional fields required? The PKP Team will not have much time to put into developing these in the short-term, but we would certainly welcome any report plugin contributions from the community.
kstranac
Site Admin

Postby ramon » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:50 am

Kevin,

Could these "reports" be included into a single plugin, allowing the Director to generate the one desired/choose the fields?
Or creating every report as a single plugin a better approach? This definitely seems easier...

[UPDATE nov 18 2011 @ 17h51]
Hello all,
I managed to fix most of the problems, but I haven't cleaned up a few "unnecessary" lines of code.
Now the plugin is working, generating the necessary data.
I managed to group the column data into one cell.
The plugin can then be copied/renamed/modified to generate the name tags.
Here's a first draft for testing.
Translations and text suggestions are welcome.
mailinglist.2011-11-18.17h50.tar.gz
Mailing List Plugin v0.5
(3.29 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
ramon

Return to OCS Technical Support