OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Preventing submitting the same paper in more than one track

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Preventing submitting the same paper in more than one track

Postby eagleeye » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:54 am

As far as I know, OCS does not prevent a user submitting the same paper in more than one track.
Are there any ways in which I would be able to do this?
I want to prevent the user from being able to upload one paper in two or more tracks of the conference.
I know that this should be done by checking the article name or something, but does it have SQL recoding?
PLEASE help!
I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance.
eagleeye

Re: Preventing submitting the same paper in more than one track

Postby ramon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:02 am

Dear eagleeye,

Personally, I believe it would be very difficult to develop a foolproof method. There will be infinite ways for the author to submit the same submission more than once to multiple tracks, sessions, or sections (OJS). Checking just for the title may not be enough.
Also, having specific a submission checklist item detailing that the submission must be sent to the most appropriate track and that repeated submissions will be either ignored or archived/excluded permanently by the editorial team seems to me a better approach.
It is easier to rely on the Director(OCS)/Editor(OJS) to check for repeated submissions, as they have, with current versions, the ability to list submissions by title and author.
Although it may cause some greater work on these roles, it is easier to control if there are no section/track editors assigned, which will force the Director/Editor to check the submission first before assigning anyone to them. It may be their responsibility to define the correct track/section according to the policies and specific needs.
One 'policy' could be to assume the most recent submission as the valid one, for example.
ramon

Re: Preventing submitting the same paper in more than one track

Postby eagleeye » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:20 pm

Hi Ramon,

thanks for your reply. you're absolutely right; there are so many ways that a user would be able upload the same paper to the conference.

Just one thing, I just don't want to have papers with the exact same title in the list of the papers submitted t my conference.

I believe that i should put a conditional statement with an error message in AuthorSubmitForm3.php, where the user enters the title of his/her paper. (it's possible that more than one users would want to upload papers with exactly the same title, and I dont' want that to happen). If the title of the paper is already in the list of papers, then the user shouldn't be able to proceed.

Could anybody give me some help on that please?

Thanks.
eagleeye

Return to OCS Technical Support