OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Need Submission Type in Papers Report

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Need Submission Type in Papers Report

Postby tshore » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:34 pm

I fixed this last year, but I guess I forgot to make a bug report/feature request. Of course conference organizers will need to know whether a presentation is a talk, poster, or whatever else when they are looking a the papers report. I have attached the two files that had to be modified in order to include the submission type code for each submission in the papers report. It would be preferable to have the actual submission type, but I was so overwhelmed working with the SQL query that I just settled for including the code and then I had to produce a little lookup table for the conference organizer to use.

As an aside, when I was working on this last year, I got stuck for 1/2 a day trying to make it work. I actually emailed the SQL query to the woman I was working on this for, just to give her an idea of why she had to wait for this fix. Here's what I wrote to her:
Wow, that was painful. I already had the query working to get the submission_type code into the papers report. However, that was when I querying the database directly. When I dropped it into the file that generates the Papers Report, the submission_type code didn't appear - for the last 2 hours! What a nightmare.

Just so you can see what I was dealing with, here's the database query that I was working on:

SELECT p.status AS status,
p.start_time AS start_time,
p.end_time AS end_time,
pp.room_id AS room_id,
p.paper_id AS paper_id,
COALESCE(psl1.setting_value, pspl1.setting_value) AS title,
COALESCE(psl2.setting_value, pspl2.setting_value) AS abstract,
COALESCE(psl3.setting_value, pspl3.setting_value) AS session_type,
COALESCE(tl.setting_value, tpl.setting_value) AS track_title,
p.language AS language
FROM papers p
LEFT JOIN published_papers pp ON (p.paper_id = pp.paper_id)
LEFT JOIN paper_settings pspl1 ON (pspl1.paper_id=p.paper_id AND pspl1.setting_name = 'title' AND pspl1.locale = 'en_US')
LEFT JOIN paper_settings psl1 ON (psl1.paper_id=p.paper_id AND psl1.setting_name = 'title' AND psl1.locale = 'en_US')
LEFT JOIN paper_settings pspl2 ON (pspl2.paper_id=p.paper_id AND pspl2.setting_name = 'abstract' AND pspl2.locale = 'en_US')
LEFT JOIN paper_settings psl2 ON (psl2.paper_id=p.paper_id AND psl2.setting_name = 'abstract' AND psl2.locale = 'en_US')
LEFT JOIN paper_settings pspl3 ON (pspl3.paper_id=p.paper_id AND pspl3.setting_name = 'sessionType')
LEFT JOIN paper_settings psl3 ON (psl3.paper_id=p.paper_id AND psl3.setting_name = 'sessionType')
LEFT JOIN track_settings tpl ON (tpl.track_id=p.track_id AND tpl.setting_name = 'title' AND tpl.locale = 'en_US')
LEFT JOIN track_settings tl ON (tl.track_id=p.track_id AND tl.setting_name = 'title' AND tl.locale = 'en_US')
WHERE p.sched_conf_id = 1
AND submission_progress != 3
ORDER BY title

The problem that took me half the day to find was that this line:

COALESCE(psl3.setting_value, pspl3.setting_value) AS session_type,

couldn't be like this:

COALESCE(psl3.setting_value, pspl3.setting_value) AS sessionType,

I don't think that it liked that I used an uppercase T in the variable name.

Anyway, on with this post...

I have attached the two files that you need to modify (and appended .txt, so that the forum would allow me to upload them).

Also, here's the SQL query you need to use to generate the lookup table so that you can see what submission type the codes correspond to.
Code: Select all
SELECT controlled_vocab_entries.controlled_vocab_entry_id AS submission_type_id, setting_value AS submission_type
FROM `controlled_vocab_entries`, controlled_vocab_entry_settings
WHERE controlled_vocab_entry_settings.controlled_vocab_entry_id = controlled_vocab_entries.controlled_vocab_entry_id
AND setting_name = 'name'

SubmissionTypeLookupTable.png
SubmissionTypeLookupTable.png (20.66 KiB) Viewed 2515 times

These files also have a few other changes that I made to the report. More informative filename. Doesn't include archived submissions. And maybe a few other changes. These are OCS 2.3.3.1 files.
Attachments
PaperReportPlugin.inc.php.txt
plugins/reports/papers/PaperReportPlugin.inc.php
(8.81 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
PaperReportDAO.inc.php.txt
plugins/reports/papers/PaperReportDAO.inc.php
(4.37 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
tshore

Re: Need Submission Type in Papers Report

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:44 pm

Hi Trudy,

Thanks for the info and code! As it happens, we've also modified the papers report along similar lines for our PKP 2011 conference. You can see our modification here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6627.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby tshore » Thu May 05, 2011 3:53 pm

Yikes! That SQL query (the one in the bug report) is frightening. No wonder I gave up at just including the code for the Presentation Type.

I went ahead and used your changes, however, it looks like you might've added some fields to the DB and changed other table names? What a mess... Took me a while to back up and make all that work with 2.3.3.1. I've attached both files here, but I think I had to add a locale field to the papers table.

Also, I have added user_id into the report as conference organizers may want to use this for checking to see if all of the submitters have registered and paid for the conference.

I finally fixed everything, I think. Including the missing affiliation field. It was caused by this line in PaperReportPlugin.inc.php:
$returner['affiliation' ] = isset($author['affiliation']) ? $author['affiliation'] : '';

which should've been like this:
$returner['affiliation' . $seq] = isset($author['affiliation']) ? $author['affiliation'] : '';
Attachments
PaperReportDAO.inc.php.txt
plugins/reports/papers/PaperReportDAO.inc.php
(5.32 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
PaperReportPlugin.inc.php.txt
plugins/reports/papers/PaperReportPlugin.inc.php
(8.95 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
tshore

Postby mendesrocha » Thu May 26, 2011 1:36 pm

I would like a Review Report with a Track information collum. Any ideas on how to include this information on the report?
mendesrocha

Postby mendesrocha » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:54 pm

I found a solution to my question above using MS Excel.

Since track information is in Submission report, but is not in Review report, I imported both reports to one spreedsheet. Then using LOOKUP formula I was able to insert Track information from Submission report in Review report.

Before it, I inserted a new collumn in the begining of Review Report, then in every line of that collumn I inserted the following formula:

=LOOKUP(D$2:D$1022;Submission!A$2:A$532;Submission!AR$2:AR$532)

Being 1022 the total number of rows in Submission Report and 532 the total number of rows in Review Report.
mendesrocha

Postby tshore » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:10 am

Thanks for the info and code! As it happens, we've also modified the papers report along similar lines for our PKP 2011 conference. You can see our modification here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=6627.

I don't understand why this isn't in OCS 2.3.5?
tshore

Postby asmecher » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:00 am

Hi Trudy,

We use the "version" field in Bugzilla to designate what version a feature or fix will be released in. (That can be counterintutitive when considering bug fixes -- they're filed against the version they're fixed in, not the versions they affect.) In this case, it's filed against 3.0 so will be released first in that version. Since the stable/development fork occurred between the 2.3.x and master branches (the latter of which will probably next be released as OCS 3.0), fixes and feature adds need primarily to go into the master branch, since that is where future development will happen. We may opt to back-port them to the stable branch, particularly if they're bug fixes; in this case we have not.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby tshore » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:07 am

I figured it was something like that, but, at the time - back in 2011! - I didn't notice the version number. So, once again, I find out - when my client is in a panic - that an essential feature is not available to them. This is killing me...

You guys thought it was so essential you programmed it for your own conference!
Last edited by tshore on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
tshore

Postby asmecher » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:32 am

Hi Trudy,

It sounds to me like you're maintaining a set of patches and modifications that you're mixing and matching into new installations. I wonder if managing these e.g. via your own git branch would help to keep things consistent and minimize the management time on your part. Using that branch for all of your installations, even forking it again for client-specific modifications, would help keep your environment standardized.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby tshore » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:40 am

Thanks. Maybe I'll look into it for next year, but I'm afraid that the learning curve will just be too much for me in terms of the time I would have to invest in it. Of course it would be time well spent, but if I don't have the time in the first place, then it might not be possible for me.
tshore

Postby BVBAccelerate » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:51 am

jmacgreg wrote:Hi Trudy,

Cheers,
James

Hey, I was wondering if there was a version of this file that works on OCS 2.3.5. I'm on that version and would like to use those files on GitHub to patch our system and be able to get the paper type included in the reports. However, it seems that the database schema that I have differs from the version that those files are from. Or, when is OCS 3 expected to come out? Approacing two years of no updates here!
BVBAccelerate

Postby tshore » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:28 am

From my replies above, it looks like I only had to add a locale field to the papers table. In fact, just had to do it the other day for one of my 2014 conferences.
tshore

Postby BVBAccelerate » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:39 am

tshore wrote:From my replies above, it looks like I only had to add a locale field to the papers table. In fact, just had to do it the other day for one of my 2014 conferences.

My mistake may have been trying to use the whole file instead of adding the lines incrementally. the raw files use a previous schema (or perhaps an updated one I don't have?) with changes to the table names as well. I'll give it a go by just adding the necessary lines.
BVBAccelerate

Postby roball » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:36 am

I would also very much appreciate if the commit "Added session type and comments to director to papers report" to the master branch could be backported to the ocs branch ocs-stable-2_3, so we poor users that are stuck to OCS 2.3.x can get this important feature by simply applying a patch.

Thanks!
roball

Postby asmecher » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:21 am

Hi roball,

I've back-ported the patch -- see https://github.com/pkp/ocs/commit/1285ff79cda913699df91ee68f5908c997f5da87. Note that I haven't tested it, though the differences in porting are minor; please report back with your success.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Next

Return to OCS Technical Support