OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Unsupported or missing publication type

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Unsupported or missing publication type

Postby laports » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:50 pm

I've been trying to use the citation assistant under OJS 2.3.3-3 for the past three days, but still can't make it work. It's surely an installation problem but I cannot find what I have missed.

When using the assistant, I always get "Unsupported or missing publication type". Manually entering it doens't solve the problem, but actually worsen it : I can no longer save my citation.
After a few minutes of playing with the interface, I do manage to get a result from WorldCat, but I still can't save the citation. I always get the error "citation contains unsaved data".
Trying to manually query the citation services yields a long popup containing code (see attachment)

My php error log contains the following :

In file: /var/devel/ojs-2.3.3-3/lib/pkp/classes/citation/parser/paracite/ParaciteRawCitationNlmCitationSchemaFilter.inc.php
At line: 249
Stacktrace:
Server info:
PHP Version: 5.3.5
Apache Version: N/A
DB Driver: mysql
DB server version: 5.1.52
[08-Feb-2011 14:00:42] NOTICE: Undefined variable: publicationType (/var/devel/ojs-2.3.3-3/lib/pkp/classes/metadata/nlm/OpenUrlNlmCitationSchemaCrosswalkFilter.inc.php:89)

Missing dependency?
I'm using Apache 2.2.17, OJS installed using FastCGI under a non-root account and OS is Fedora 13 (2.6.34.7-66.fc13.x86_64).

Any hint/clue would be appreciated. Thank you!
Attachments
popUp.PNG
popUp.PNG (47.68 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
cannotSave.PNG
cannotSave.PNG (109.19 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
Unsupported.PNG
Unsupported.PNG (106.92 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
laports

Re: Unsupported or missing publication type

Postby jerico » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:12 am

Hi laports,

I've tried out your citation with our citation demo install and I cannot reproduce your problem. The citation was split into fields by three different citation extraction services: FreeCite, ParaCite and RegEx and I could save the results without problems. You can see results split up by extraction service by clicking on "Expert internal citation services results".

Can you please make sure that you have all these services correctly set-up? Please also make sure that you closely follow the set-up instructions for each service. The instructions will pop-up as soon as you add one of these services. ParaCite, for example, requires you to install perl and several CPAN libraries on your machine.

BTW: The citation was not found in any of the citation databases (as opposed to the extraction services I mentioned above) even after I manually corrected the fields. I got some results from WorldCat and ISBNdb but both were false positives (=other books). This means that the citation you're trying to mark-up does probably not exist in any of these databases which is possible. You'll still be able to mark it up correctly based on the results of the extraction services, though. Please use the advanced interface that I mentioned above to assemble the correct fields from the different sources.

The warning you got in your error log should not result in a serious error. I've made sure that the warning will disappear in future releases.

jerico
jerico

Re: Unsupported or missing publication type

Postby jerico » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:16 am

Oh, and here's the results I got after marking the citation up (so that you can compare):

APA export:
Butler, S. W. (2005). Secrets from the Black Bag. London: The Royal College of General Practitioners. [Google Scholar]

NLM 3.0 export:

<ref id="B9">
<label>9</label>
<element-citation publication-type="book">
<person-group person-group-type="author">
<name>
<surname>Butler</surname>
<given-names>S W</given-names>
</name>
</person-group>
<source>Secrets from the Black Bag</source>
<year>2005</year>