OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Primary Language and non-translated/translatable fields

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Primary Language and non-translated/translatable fields

Postby georgeKapsomenos » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:12 pm

I have installed OCS 2.3.3.1 in order to familiarize myself with the software and test the Greek translation and I've noticed that when a non-english locale is installed, parts of the included software that are English only, will display the message-key codes instead of a default language text...

To be more specific, I've set up Greek as the primary language for the conferences and while editing the details of a conference, in the text area fields where TinyMCE is used, when the mouse pointer hovers above any of the buttons (like bold, italics etc), I get their title as a message-key...same happens when I click on TinyMCE's help button and a window pops up (see screenshot)
primarylocalenotenglish.jpg
primarylocalenotenglish.jpg (43.67 KiB) Viewed 1346 times

It seems the choice of a non-english primary locale also forces TinyMCE to look for an according translation, otherwise it displays the key...this was also the case with e.g. the plugins before I translated them. But while the plugins should be translated, TinyMCE need not be...

That brings me to my remark and suggestion...It would be nice if a default "fall-back" language could be used automatically if untranslated text/software is encountered.
Is that possible?

Thanks a lot.
georgeKapsomenos

Re: Primary Language and non-translated/translatable fields

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:30 pm

Hi George,

I think this is a problem specific to TinyMCE, rather than to OCS -- TinyMCE itself should be able to gracefully handle not having a given locale if the site it is installed on is using that locale. Actually, it looks like that is partially the case -- some of the translation keys in your example appear in English, at least. I looked on the TinyMCE developer's website, and did find a feature request for this kind of functionality: http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/develop/bu ... hp?id=3846. If the developers there create a way for this to work, and it involves configuration work on our part, we will be happy to implement any changes they suggest.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Re: Primary Language and non-translated/translatable fields

Postby georgeKapsomenos » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:37 pm

jmacgreg wrote:Hi George,

I think this is a problem specific to TinyMCE, rather than to OCS -- TinyMCE itself should be able to gracefully handle not having a given locale if the site it is installed on is using that locale. Actually, it looks like that is partially the case -- some of the translation keys in your example appear in English, at least. I looked on the TinyMCE developer's website, and did find a feature request for this kind of functionality: http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/develop/bu ... hp?id=3846. If the developers there create a way for this to work, and it involves configuration work on our part, we will be happy to implement any changes they suggest.

Cheers,
James

Concerning the greek TinyMCE translation, keys inside the xml file appear in English because the translation is admittedly incomplete...
The selected buttons that appear in the text areas in OCS where TinyMCE is used (those that I've seen, I haven't checked all), however, are covered by the otherwise incomplete translation (although being wrongly translated...at least meaningful text appears) found in the TinyMCE download page.

Concerning the handling of non translated keys in OCS, I experienced this before translating the plugins...the font size plugin, for example, before I translated it, displayed the message key code instead of falling back to an existing, system default locale e.g. English...
...I guessed it was meant to work that way and that the plugins were rather an essential part of OCS that needed translation.

The same happened with TinyMCE, so I figured it had the same cause...an OCS setting or lack there of, that forces the use of only one locale file version, instead of two (e.g. Greek and English) for text that is meant to appear in different languages.
georgeKapsomenos

Return to OCS Technical Support