OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

There was an error sending this email. Please check your PHP

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

There was an error sending this email. Please check your PHP

Postby Sarah2010 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:04 am

Hello all,

I am hoping that someone will be able to help me with a problem we are having with our OCS.

We are having an email error, when someone registers or submits an abstract the following message occurs:
There was an error sending this email. Please check your PHP error log for more information.

We were initially using a gmail account, we have changed it to an institute account but this has not fixed the error.

I have checked other posts and the solutions suggested by them did not help, (i.e, we do not have ; in front of commands).

I was able to get confirmation emails without this error initially and I can only think that I have changed something in the conference manager but I've checked everywhere and I can not identify something that would explain what is happening.

We are a student group organizing a symposium and have not used this program before. The IT department at my institute is helping out as best they can but they cant understand what the problem is. Our website was meant to open yesterday. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Sarah
The details of our settings are below:

smtp On
smtp_server mail.mcri.edu.au
smtp_port 25
smtp_auth PLAIN
smtp_username *******
smtp_password *******
allow_envelope_sender On
enable_attachments On
time_between_emails 3600
max_recipients 10
require_validation Off
validation_timeout 14
display_errors On
Sarah2010

Re: There was an error sending this email. Please check your PHP

Postby asmecher » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:32 am

Hi Sarah,

Are you using OCS 2.1.2 or later? If so, the first thing to check is your PHP error log. Its location will depend on your server configuration, but it may be in /var/log/apache/error_log or something similar. Look for messages like: "OCS SMTPMailer: ..."

If that doesn't provide any clues, try removing the "@" error suppression from classes/mail/SMTPMailer.inc.php e.g. near line 195:
Code: Select all
$ret = @fwrite($this->socket, $command . (empty($data) ? '' : ' ' . $data) . "\r\n");
...and near line 218:
$line = @fgets($this->socket);
Just remove the "@" symbol at the beginning of the line and you might get some debugging output when you try again.

If you think this might be a setup problem, check to make sure that your contact email addresses are properly set. Check your Profile, check Website Management step 1, and check Scheduled Conference Setup step 1. All of the email address fields there should contain only an email address (e.g. "me@there.com"), not an alias (e.g. "Me <me@there.com>").

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Sarah2010 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:31 pm

Hi Alec,

Thanks for your response. I have checked the 2 places in OCS and the email address is correct. I have also turned off the email logging in step 5 of the website management, as I remember turning that on later in the set up process. But it has not fixed the problem. I just thought I'd check do that email and the one in our system email settings need to be the same? I have forwarded the checking of the PHP log to the IT department as unfortunately this kind of thing is above my level of understanding.

Thanks for your help,

Sarah
Sarah2010

Postby asmecher » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:02 pm

Hi Sarah,

The email logging setting in setup won't fix this problem, as you've noticed. The email accounts that you set up don't need to be the same, they just need to be valid. See what your IT department comes back with and we'll continue debugging from there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby focka » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:25 am

hello there,
At first,
sorry my english and lack of knowledge bout the problem.
Im from Rio de Janeiro, BRASIL. and we run into the same problem, i ve tried the changes on SMTPMailer.inc.php
but nothing changes :\
the same message appears
" There was an error sending this email. Please check your PHP error log for more information. "

Please, im in the same situation, but the site's already online,
hope solve this problem asap

PS : the maillog, show us the connections and desconections , only, nothing about send mails |:
again, srry my bad english
and TY a lot
hope u can help me,
Mauro
focka

Postby radwant » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:53 pm

I had the same problem..
Try putting the smtp username as full name ( like uname@domain.com )

the problem is coming from a hidden variable that puts the domain name as localhost if you do not specify the full name.
good luck
radwant

Postby bufoni » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:39 am

Hi,
I am having the same problem.
Here are some configuration:
config.inc.php:
[email]

; Use SMTP for sending mail instead of mail()
 smtp = On

; SMTP server settings
 smtp_server = tls://smtp.gmail.com
 smtp_port = 587

; Enable SMTP authentication
; Supported mechanisms: PLAIN, LOGIN, CRAM-MD5, and DIGEST-MD5
 smtp_auth = PLAIN
 smtp_username = +++
 smtp_password = +++

; Allow envelope sender to be specified
; (may not be possible with some server configurations)
 allow_envelope_sender = On

I also set debug to display_errors = on. That was the only way to see this error.

The php.ini have the necessary sockets. E_ALL configured, but no error is reported.
[PHP_SOCKETS]
extension=php_sockets.dll

The problem seems to come from SMTPMailer.inc.php in line:
$this->socket = fsockopen($this->server, $this->port, $errno, $errstr, 30);
Error 0 but $this->socket is false, indicating a connection problem;

The most strange is that sending mail by PEAR smtp mail it works normally.
Any idea what could the problem be?

Best regards!!!
bufoni

Postby bufoni » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:52 am

Ok.
That's it.
I've changed the server to ssl://www.gmail.com and port:465 and it start working...

Bye
bufoni

Return to OCS Technical Support