OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Troubles to download msword file as director, author, rev

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Troubles to download msword file as director, author, rev

Postby matnet » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:47 am

Hi. I have a similar problem as the one pointed at by santiagom concerning OJS with some Ms word files (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4027). I haven't found a thread for OCS though.

The problem is the following: The file of a submission is online fine. I can say this because if i go to ftp://ftp.mysite.eu:21//ocs/files/confe ... ion/review and i download the file, it opens correctly

however if i try to open this and other files as either reviewer, director or author, the file pops up a ms word box asking which code i want to use to open the file and whichever code i choose the file does not open correctly.

Thanks fr your help and patience
matnet

Re: Troubles to download msword file as director, author, rev

Postby matnet » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:14 pm

I realized i should be more specific about my installation and problem
I am running ocs 2.1.2. The website is the following: http://www.eale2010.eu.
I encounter the problem with all doc, docx and rtf files on both macs and PCs when i try to open them through either reviewer, author or director logins. When i try to open these files the following box pops up and whichever choice i make the files will not open properly. I repeat, the files online are just fine as if i navigate via ftp to the file, i can see and download them correctly.

Screen shot 2010-03-29 at 10.33.58 AM.gif
Screen shot 2010-03-29 at 10.33.58 AM.gif (58.31 KiB) Viewed 1289 times

Thanks again
matnet

Postby jmacgreg » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:21 pm

Hi Matnet,

Can you follow Alec's suggestions in the thread you point to -- open up the corrupted files in either Notepad or TextEdit, and see if there are any PHP errors buried in there?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby matnet » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:09 pm

I have tried to post an empty doc as a review posted by the director and then i downloaded it.
It does not open either and as far as i can tell there seems to be no php code there. See the attachment

thanks

Matteo
Attachments
240-351-2-RV.doc
(21.5 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
matnet

Postby mcrider » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:27 pm

Hi matnet,

Could you also follow Alec's instructions regarding showing us a row from the article_files table referring to an affected file? The system may think these files are a different format than they actually are.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby matnet » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:02 am

Hi Matt. sorry for not anwering earlier. I have had a look at the paper_files table (you suggested articole_files but i guess that applies to OJS). In fact i see that the doc files are either identified as octet-stream, msword or vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document. See image in the zip attached.

However in neither case they download. Actually i cannot find any single doc file that downloads correctly. I attah the Sql extraction of the three files enlightened in the image for the papers_table in the zip attached

Hope we can fix this. Thanks
Archive.zip
(40.73 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

Matteo
matnet

Postby mcrider » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:19 am

Hi Matteo,

Try changing the file_type for those msword files to 'application/msword', and let us know if they appear correctly.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby matnet » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:13 am

It is already either
application/msword or
application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document or
application/octet-stream

Neither works.

The files with the file_type application/pdf instead download and correctly
matnet

Postby mcrider » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:47 am

Hi Matteo,

And all of these documents load correctly when you access them via FTP? Can you give us some more information about your server, e.g. OS, PHP/Apache server versions, and anything else that may be relevant? Are you just using Spanish in your OCS install?

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby matnet » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:14 am

Yrs indeed. I have downloaded them correctly via FTP and I am sending the DOC files out to reviewers by email at the moment.

In my OCS install I am using only english although you can probably see some italian here and there in my browser and in my server pages.

My server is hosted on Aruba.it. I have other two ocs installations owith the same provider and they work fine (they are however OCS 2.1.1 and 2.1.2)

Other data are as following:

OS platform Linux
PHP version 5.2.13
Apache version Not available
Database driver mysql
Database server version 5.0.82sp1-log

thanks
matnet

Postby asmecher » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi matnet,

I suspect you've inadvertently inserted a tab into the top or bottom of one of the system's PHP files. The .doc file you posted contains a tab at the beginning but is otherwise OK. The easiest place for one of these to sneak in is before the "<?php" at the beginning of a script, or after the "?>" at the end.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby matnet » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:52 am

I think this is a little bit beyond my capabilities. I have changed only CSS files and the files that produce the side menu.

how can it be the case that only DOC files are affected and not PDF ones?
matnet

Postby asmecher » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:17 am

Hi matnet,

PDF files are handled slightly differently than .DOC files, which can mean that different class files are loaded in the two situations. Have you checked your web server log for error messages? Look for something like:
Warning: Cannot modify header information...
Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby asmecher » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:03 am

Hi huafeihua116,

I'm afraid I'm not following -- could you describe in more detail?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OCS Technical Support