OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Website Error with Firefox, no problems with IE and Opera

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Website Error with Firefox, no problems with IE and Opera

Postby user87 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:22 am

Hello,

I have trouble with the Browser Firefox 3.0.15 and 3.6. The content is cutted after a half page (a screenshot is in the attachment --> look at the scrollbar). After 3 or 4 times of reloading, the full content can be seen. With the browser IE 7 and 8 and Opera 10, I don't have the same problems. Has anybody an idea?

Regards. user87
Attachments
failure - create user form.png
Failure - Create new user form
failure - create user form.png (360.75 KiB) Viewed 897 times
Bildschirmfoto.png
Screenshot of the problem
Bildschirmfoto.png (155.53 KiB) Viewed 1111 times
Last edited by user87 on Mon May 17, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
user87

Re: Website Error with Firefox, no problems with IE and Opera

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:27 am

Hi user87,

I haven't heard of this kind of issue before. It looks like you are using a custom stylesheet. Does the problem persist if you disable that stylesheet? Can you send me a link via PM to take a look at the site?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby Bryn » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:27 am

I'm having the same problem with Firefox 3.6.2, not loading or scrolling setup pages, on my OJS 2.3.1.1 journal.

Initially I was hoping it was just a problem with the custom.css template, and so tried changing back to a default template (OldNavy and Vanilla) but to no avail. Sometimes the page will reload, but most often it won't. I'm also getting blank pages on occasion, e.g., /manager/createUser will just free on reload. With Safari 4 I'm not having any problems.

Bryn
Bryn

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:31 pm

Hi Bryn,

could you post a link to your site, either here or via PM?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:02 pm

Hi Bryn,

Thanks for sending that information. I took a look, and found some interesting results.

-- all page data loads (which I suspected, given that you could see all data in Safari or Opera). If you load one of the problem pages in Firefox and view the page source, you'll see that the full content is there; it's just being cut of display-wise.

-- this suggests to me that it's a theme compatibility issue, although I'm not sure why Vanilla or ClassicNavy would be doing the same (I checked on my own install, they act normally under Firefox). Have you made any direct edits to any of the default stylesheets?

-- debugging user-generated themes is beyond our free support scope, but I can give you a few suggestions:

1. Using Firebug (which you may want to try -- it's great for debugging css issues), it looks like the display problem is with div id "main". Check to see what you have in your custom theme for its display options, and try messing around.

2. Try fully deleting the theme to see if ClassicNavy and/or Vanilla are fixed.

3. When trying any of this, remember to hard-refresh your browser, to make sure the new stylesheet loads. (On Mac computers, you can do this by holding down the Shift key while clicking the Refresh button.)

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:18 pm

Hi all,

Matt has also looked into this, and has discovered that removing the 'height: 100%;' attribute from the #main container in styles/bothSidebars.css may actually solve the problem. If you or anyone else is experiencing this, please give this a short -- and report back on whether this works or not.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OCS Technical Support