OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Data lost after upgrade!

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Data lost after upgrade!

Postby sstanzak » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:03 pm

I recently upgraded from OCS 2.1.2-1 to OCS 2.3, using the patch method since I've made many changes to the code. Everything seemed to work fine until I noticed none of the submissions are showing up! There were several still "In Review" and more in the "Presentations" section before I upgraded but they are no longer there.

I know little about databases, but I did find that the submissions are still stored in the database (in the paper_settings table). Does anyone what went wrong? I already tried deleting the database, restoring it with a backup copy, and then upgrading it again.

Thank you for your help.

Best,
Steve
sstanzak

Re: Data lost after upgrade!

Postby asmecher » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:51 am

Hi Steve,

Does the paper_authors table contain data?

Did you encounter any errors or problems on upgrade?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby sstanzak » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:21 pm

Alec,
Thank you for your help.

No, the paper_authors does not contain any data.

I didn't remember any errors, but I reverted to my old database and tried updating again, paying attention this time! These are the errors that occurred:

ocs2 has produced an error
In file: /classes/install/Upgrade.inc.php
At line: 649
Stacktrace:
Server info:
PHP Version: 5.2.4
Apache Version: N/A
DB Driver: mysql
DB server version: 5.0.83

In file: /classes/install/Upgrade.inc.php
At line: 649
Stacktrace:
Server info:

[note: docs/release-notes/README-2.3.0]
Message: WARNING: file(docs/release-notes/README-2.3.0): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
In file: /lib/pkp/classes/install/Installer.inc.php
At line: 416
Stacktrace:
Server info:

In file: /lib/pkp/classes/install/Installer.inc.php
At line: 416
Stacktrace:
Server info:

I appreciate ANY help you can give.

Best,
Steve
sstanzak

Postby asmecher » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:53 pm

Hi Steve,

The paper_presenters table should be renamed to paper_authors as part of the upgrade process; however, if there is already a paper_authors table in the database, the upgrade process might not work. Is it possible that a previous failed upgrade left a paper_authors table in place?

You can manually migrate that table by simply renaming it, and then renaming the presenter_id column to author_id.

The warnings you quoted from your upgrade process are safe to ignore.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby sstanzak » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:43 pm

Alec,
I don't think that's the case. I've tried several times completely deleting the database, recreating it using a backup copy, and then upgrading the database (using the command found in the upgrade document). There was no paper_authors table in my backup copy. It was created during the upgrade, but it's empty--all the author information is still stored in paper_presenters. For some reason the table was not changed.

Any other suggestions? It is simple enough for me to just rename the table?

Best,
Steve
sstanzak

Postby asmecher » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:25 pm

Hi Steve,

Found it -- try applying the patch at http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=5134 before you run the upgrade.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby sstanzak » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:31 pm

It worked! Thank you so much for your help.

I have one small problem, and it might not be related. Under my user page, all the papers that are "unassigned" and "in review" show up as they're supposed to, but it shows "0 presentations." They do show up in the "presentations" page, just not in the "user home."

If you know the fix, I'll apply it, if not, it's completely workable now. Again, thank you.

Best,
Steve
sstanzak

Postby asmecher » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:59 am

Hi Steve,

This was fixed as part of bug #4737 http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4737 -- however, the patches were written against OCS 2.3, not 2.x, so you might have trouble back-porting the fix. Unless you're handy with PHP, I'd suggest living with it. The patch actually removes the presentations count entirely (in addition to a massive optimization of the number of DB requests required to build the other counts); you could get the same result by modifying the templates/user/index.tpl template file and commenting out the HTML there. If we get requests for the presentations count to be re-added, we may well get around to it.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OCS Technical Support