OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Error upgrading from OCS 2.1.2-1 to 2.3

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Error upgrading from OCS 2.1.2-1 to 2.3

Postby tshore » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:31 am

I managed to upgrade using:

mohsho# patch -p1 < ocs-2.1.2-1_to_2.3.patch

but when I went to upgrade the DB, I got an error:

mohsho# php tools/upgrade.php upgrade
PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function import() in /usr/home/csbbcs/public_html/ocs_test/tools/upgrade.php on line 21

So I went on to try to upgrade the DB using the installer. I set 'installed = Off' in config.inc.php, but I get a blank page when I try to view the site in a web browser. Here's the error from my error_log:

PHP Fatal error: Class 'Config' not found in /usr/home/csbbcs/public_html/ocs_test/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php on line 54

Now the file in question is: lib/pkp/classes/config/Config.inc.php. It is readable and owned by the correct user. I tried increasing PHP's memory_limit from 256M to 512M. Didn't help. Restarted Apache. Nothing helps. I can't find anything else to try by searching the PKP support section.

Any suggestions - today?? - would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
tshore

Re: Error upgrading from OCS 2.1.2-1 to 2.3

Postby tshore » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:19 am

I set show_stack_trace and debug to On, in hopes of getting you more info to go on, but I still ended up with just a blank page.

Help please! I really need to get these conferences live...
tshore

Postby tshore » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:48 pm

I figured out that the problem was that many of the files from the classes directory (2.1.2) have now been moved to the lib/pkp/classes directory (2.3). But, when I upgraded using the procedure outlined above, the original files in the classes directory were not deleted and this was causing the error and blank screen. Once I got that sorted (I ended up deleting and re-uploading the entire 2.3 classes directory and I also had to replace the lib directory) I had another error popping up - can't remember - but whatever it was, it caused me to abandon ship. I simply uploaded all the 2.3 files and started new - but not new with the DB.

Upgrading the DB wasn't completely straightforward either. I had a couple of errors, can't remember exactly.

I'm now just picking through and applying all of my template changes. I had modified 13 templates in 2.1.2.

Also, my announcements aren't showing up. I'll have to look into that.
tshore

Postby tshore » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:06 am

Ok, I'm all upgraded. Not an easy process, in part, because of the customizations I had made in 2.1.2.

First - THANK YOU - I am so happy to be able to offer unlimited submission types to my conference organizers. Of course, they can't be completely happy. Otherwise, our jobs would be too easy. :wink: So, a feature request: The ability to set different deadlines for different submission types. For example, for one of my conferences, the deadline for symposia will be March 1, the deadline for students wishing to be considered for a graduate student award is April 1 and then the deadline for regular talks and posters is April 15.
tshore

Return to OCS Technical Support