OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Problem with Navigation Block

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Problem with Navigation Block

Postby RickMath » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:11 pm

When I add the Navigation Block to the right menu and then search by author and click on a listed name I get the following error.

Notice: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/marketrm/public_html/ocs/pages/search/SearchHandler.inc.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/marketrm/public_html/ocs/pages/search/SearchHandler.inc.php:137) in /home/marketrm/public_html/ocs/classes/template/TemplateManager.inc.php on line 303

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/marketrm/public_html/ocs/pages/search/SearchHandler.inc.php:137) in /home/marketrm/public_html/ocs/classes/template/TemplateManager.inc.php on line 306

What would you suggest?

Thanks

Rick
RickMath

Re: Problem with Navigation Block

Postby asmecher » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:12 am

Hi Rick,

The warning is harmless -- but you can patch the problem as per http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=5074.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby RickMath » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:18 pm

Thanks Alec

I am having a similar problem with search by title. Here is what I get.

mkdir(/home/marketrm/public_html/ocs/cache/_db/f3) [function.mkdir]: No such file or directory in /home/marketrm/public_html/ocs/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 1632

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/marketrm/public_html/ocs/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php:1632) in /home/marketrm/public_html/ocs/classes/template/TemplateManager.inc.php on line 303

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/marketrm/public_html/ocs/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php:1632) in /home/marketrm/public_html/ocs/classes/template/TemplateManager.inc.php on line 30

Maybe a similar chenage somewhere else.

The change you sugessted in Bug 5074 worked for the search by author.

Thanks

Rick
RickMath

Postby asmecher » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:38 pm

Hi Rick,

This is probably a file permission problem. Make sure the named directory exists and can be administered by the web server user. (All contents of the cache/ subdirectory need to be writable by the web server user.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby RickMath » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:50 am

I checked the files listed in the error message. All have Read and Write permissions set for User.

I do not see the path in this line
mkdir(/home/marketrm/public_html/ocs/cache/_db/f3) [function.mkdir]: No such file or directory in /home/marketrm/public_html/ocs/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 1632

adodb.inc.php has read and write permissions.

None of thesee have been modified since my orginal installation. Just in case I forgot to mention, we are running 2.1.2

Thanks

Rick
RickMath

Postby RickMath » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:59 pm

:D Hi PKP support

I still have receive possible solutions to this problem. We have checked permissions for users on the cache and they are set to read, write execute.

Need some help on this as people are asking about the error msg.

Related to this, it was my understanding that only users that have an account would be able to access the papers through the navigation block and the presentations listing in the conference timeline. Maybe I mis understood.

Looking forward to you advice on these.

Rick
RickMath

Postby asmecher » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:30 am

Hi Rick,

Does /home/marketrm/public_html/ocs/cache/_db exist?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby RickMath » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:10 am

Alec

Thanks for your response.

It does not appear to exist. Should I create it? Nothing in this path has been changed since our installation of 2.1.2

Rick
RickMath

Postby asmecher » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:16 am

Hi Rick,

Yes, create this path and make sure it's writable by the web server user.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby RickMath » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:42 pm

Alec

That did it. Being new to all of this I was not sure. As always you waved your magic wand and solved the problem.

The referenced errors no longer occur.

Rick
RickMath

Postby RickMath » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:53 pm

:D Hi Alec

I hate to bother you more but I now am having problems with the following. The behavior is pretty strange. I can understand why people who come to the site without being a user with an account can see the abstracts. We like that. Now users who I log in as cannot see their own PDFs but other users who I log in as can see the PDFs.

Listed below is a summary of the behavior sorry to make this so long but it is what is happening.

Not logged in as a user

Click on author then paper then abstract get this

Notice: Undefined variable: result in /home/marketrm/public_html/ocs/classes/schedConf/SchedConfAction.inc.php on line 188

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/marketrm/public_html/ocs/classes/schedConf/SchedConfAction.inc.php:188) in /home/marketrm/public_html/ocs/classes/template/TemplateManager.inc.php on line 303

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/marketrm/public_html/ocs/classes/schedConf/SchedConfAction.inc.php:188) in /home/marketrm/public_html/ocs/classes/template/TemplateManager.inc.php on line 306

Click on PDF get this

You are not currently permitted to view this paper. If you have an account for this conference website, you may need to log in to view content.

Click on Title then paper and abstract get this (same eror)

Notice: Undefined variable: result in /home/marketrm/public_html/ocs/classes/schedConf/SchedConfAction.inc.php on line 188

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/marketrm/public_html/ocs/classes/schedConf/SchedConfAction.inc.php:188) in /home/marketrm/public_html/ocs/classes/template/TemplateManager.inc.php on line 303

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/marketrm/public_html/ocs/classes/schedConf/SchedConfAction.inc.php:188) in /home/marketrm/public_html/ocs/classes/template/TemplateManager.inc.php on line 306

Abstract is diplayed properly with all of the above.

==========================================================================

Logged in as Conference Manager

Everything works OK

Logged in as a User other than an author

Abstract displays OK with no error msg when search by author. Also PDF displays OK.

Logged in as a user and trying to see abstract OK. Trying to see PDF get msg

You are not currently permitted to view this paper. If you have an account for this conference website, you may need to log in to view content.

I am not sure that I have the settings correct in the conference timeline but I can give you a summary if needed.

Help with this would be appreciated. It is kind of crazy.

Thanks as always for your help. We are truly making some progress.

Rick
RickMath

Postby asmecher » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:05 am

Hi Rick,

The error message is probably confusing things, so let's deal with that first. It's harmless but prevents the system from redirecting the browser to another page. FYI, it's best not to have your web server configured to display PHP errors, so I'd suggest configuring your php.ini so that they are logged instead -- but in any case, you can get rid of the message by applying the patch at http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=5097.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby RickMath » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:04 pm

:D Alec

5097 got rid of the error msgs. That is good as I have many users that email me constantly about the appearance of error msgs. All works OK for me.

Can we now move on to the issues of authors not being able to view their own PDFs. I can but paper authors cannot and others (other authors beyond the paper authors) can.

Also need to address the issue of users without accounts being able to view PDFs. My preference is to let them view abstracts but not PDFs.

Thanks your magic wand worked again.

Rick
RickMath

Postby RickMath » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:13 pm

Alec

Sorry I just checked and users not logged in cannot view the PDFs. So that seems to be working OK.

I don't mind them seeing the abstracts. It gives us more visibility.

But see my previous post.

Thanks

Rick
RickMath

Postby asmecher » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:40 pm

Hi Rick,

Users with Site Administration, Conference Manager, Director, and Track Director roles can always view papers. For other users, it depends on a number of settings:
  • Paper Access, in Website Management step 2 (and accordingly, whether or not the user is registered)
  • Delayed open access setting, on the Manager's Timeline form
  • "Post papers" checkbox (depending on version) and date, on the Manager's Timeline form
What are you using for each of those settings? Remember that you can test out author access by using the "Log In As" feature.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Next

Return to OCS Technical Support