OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

[closed] Director's 'submissionsInReview' page return blank

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

[closed] Director's 'submissionsInReview' page return blank

Postby albertosa » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:43 am

I cannot access anymore the Director's 'submissionsInReview' page, after 30 seconds I get a blank page.
It is obviously a 'timeout' issue, but this problem only appeared recently. No changes have been made to the OCS system (OCS v. 2.1.2.1).
I suspect that could be related to the high number of database queries, as we are getting more and more submissions to the conference we are organizing (but we expect much more to come...).
For example, when I try to reach the 'director/submissions' webpage, I get this statisticals:

«
Submissions
* » Unassigned (45)
* » In Review (162)
* » Presentations
* » Archives

Page generated in: 22.6536s
Number of database queries: 1325
»

But the problem is when I want to check the 'In Review' overflow: I click the 'In Review' link (director/submissions/submissionsInReview) but I get a blank page after 30 seconds.

What is the cause of this limitation? Is there anyway to turn around this situation?

I already re-indexed the submissions.

Many thanks!
Last edited by albertosa on Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
albertosa

Re: Director's 'submissionsInReview' page return blank

Postby ramon » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:15 pm

Hello albertosa,

Our experience with this sort of error is the memory_limit setting in PHP (php.ini or apache configuration files).
After changing the correct configuration file (depends on your server setup), restart Apache.

As always, we recommend (at least to our users in Brazil) upgrading to the latest stable version as soon as possible, as bug fixes and improvements are always welcome.
By the way, some improvements are only available through patches, so you might want to check PKP's Bugzilla regularly.
ramon

Postby albertosa » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:00 pm

Thanks!

Please, can you be a little more specific?

Actually, the 'memory_limit' setting in PHP is set to 128M on both 'Local Value' and 'Master Value'.
Our OCS system is running on:
- Apache/2.2.8 (Win32)
- PHP/5.2.6.
- Zend Optimizer Engine v2.2.0
- Zend Extension Manager v1.2.0
- Zend Optimizer v3.3.3,

We also have the latest OCS stable version (2.1.2.1).
albertosa

Postby ramon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:24 am

Hello Alberto,

Unfortunately, I'm not really savvy with Windows Servers.
They may have other configuration characteristics that may improve its performance.
ramon

Postby albertosa » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:05 pm

Despite not finding the cause of the problem, I could reach the desired page by increasing the 'time delay' from 30 to 60 seconds in the php.ini.

However, all operations related to the 'Director role' are extremely slowwwwww. It takes almost 50 seconds to get access to a single record.

This only happens:
- With the Director role.
- With operations related to check up the submissions.

Except this situation, everything works just fine, including other operations within the Director's scope!
But the Director's operations to update and correct submitted abstracts are very important. With this slowly, doing the tasks are painful...

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance!
albertosa

Postby mcrider » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:08 pm

Hi albert,

There is discussion of a related problem over at http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4737--The biggest problem I can see is that if you are using an NTFS filesystem (which you likely are under Windows), file access can be greatly slowed down. Take a look at that bug entry, there are some good tips in there.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby albertosa » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:08 pm

Many thanks, Matt!

We use windows and ntfs, indeed. But I cannot change the filesystem nor the entire system to linux.
we have also high rpm hdd's and fiber channel (HP Eva 4000).

I didn't see how to improve OCS in the page you advise me, but Alec Smecher refers to Bug 4772 page: should I apply one of those patches?
Thanks, anyway!
albertosa

Postby mcrider » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:18 pm

Hi Albert,

I would suggest testing an upgrade to OCS 2.3, which was just released, and seeing if that speeds thing up (2.3 includes the optimizations that Alec talks about). I'd suggest making a duplicate of your DB and upgrading with that, as OCS 2.3 is a development release and may have some hidden bugs (but if it speeds things up enough it may be worth switching).

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby albertosa » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:06 pm

We are still in the call for papers phase.
The system takes 62 seconds to retrieve the Director's 'submissionsInReview' page (during the last days jumped from 45 to 62 seconds!). We have almost 250 abstracts submitted but 800 are expected. I foresee very gray clouds approaching...

Will be advisable to make the OCS 2.3 update in the middle of the process of a conference? Or it would be prefereable to apply a single patch? And, which one?

To apply the update, a simple backup of the database will resume everything as the previous state? I mean, submissions, authors, sections, coordinators, decisions recorded ...

best, albertosa
albertosa

Postby asmecher » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi albertosa,

Can you check your server's process list to see whether you seem to be getting hung up in PHP or in MySQL? Are there many .php files in the cache/ subdirectory? That seems like an extremely slow performer.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby albertosa » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:09 pm

Dear Public Knowledge Project Team,
dear all,

I managed to find here the trouble was:
an antivirus instance was running in the server causing the extreme reduction of the OCS performance.

Take the example of the delay to retrieve the Director's 'submissionsInReview' page:

before disabling the antivirus :
Page generated in: 72.2612s
Number of database queries: 4456

after disabling the antivirus :
Page generated in: 6.4891s
Number of database queries: 4456

I'm glad to say: Case closed!

I thank everyone who tried to help me!

Best regards,
alberto sá
albertosa

Return to OCS Technical Support