OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

User Export from OCS 2.0.0

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

User Export from OCS 2.0.0

Postby tshore » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:29 am

I used 2.0.0 for my 08 and 09 conferences. I have now setup a 2.1.2 conference and, obviously*, it's totally separate. I want to import all users from my 08 and 09 conferences, but there is no User Export plugin available. How do I do this? I sortof forgot about this step and the conference organizer is very anxious for me to get this conference online for him.

*When I reread this I realized that this might not be so obvious. I had to do major modifications to my 2.0.0 installation so there was no way I was going to be able to upgrade to the latest version of OCS. Hence, the completely separate install of 2.1.2.
tshore

Re: User Export from OCS 2.0.0

Postby tshore » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:01 pm

Anyone? Even if I just had the required SQL query. I think that I could manage to convert my query results to XML. Although, it would be nice to have some help with that as well.

Please help...
tshore

Postby mcrider » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:06 pm

Hi Trudy,

This is completely without doing any research, but I think you should be able to do a DB dump of your 'users' and 'user_settings' tables and add them to your new OCS DB. Just make sure that each database has the same number of columns for the corresponding tables.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby tshore » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:10 pm

I didn't think that it would be that simple. For example, I thought that I would need the roles table and possibly fields from other tables?
tshore

Postby mcrider » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:24 pm

Hi trudy,

This depends on how complex you want the transfer to be--If you want to transfer everything each user has done (e.g. submission history, comment history), you won't be able to just copy over tables because so many table structures have changed between versions. But if you just want the users themselves to be in your new OCS instance, transferring over the users, user_settings, and roles tables should be pretty straightforward, and should work just fine. Since this is uncharted territory, I suggest making backups of all your databases and just doing a little experimentation!

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Return to OCS Technical Support