OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Captcha Problems

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Captcha Problems

Postby tshore » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:32 pm

This is the first year that I've tried using captcha with OCS. My conference organizer reports that people are having problems with captcha when attempting to create accounts. One person gave up after 6 failed attempts. What I find helpful with captcha is the inclusion of a "Try Another" link. Have others experienced similar problems with captcha? And, any chance of a patch to give the user a chance to display another captcha if the one that's displayed is too difficult?
tshore

Re: Captcha Problems

Postby tshore » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:24 pm

Anybody have any suggestions for me? Otherwise, I will have to turn off the CAPTCHA and I would prefer not to do that.
tshore

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:21 pm

Hi Trudy,

We have a feature request for adding reCaptcha support, which would be much more flexible and useable: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4082. Not sure when we'll get to implementing it, though. Just the same, feel free to CC yourself to that report for future updates.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby tshore » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:26 am

In the meantime, I went into:

classes/security/Validation.inc.php

and edited the generatePassword function (this function is also used to generate CAPTCHAs). I removed a number of characters that can be ambiguous when comparing upper and lower case (ie. vV, uU, etc):
Code: Select all
//   $letters = 'abcdefghijkmnpqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHJKLMNPQRSTUVWXYZ';
     $letters = 'abdefghijkmnqrtyABDEFGHJKLMNQRTY';

Of course this probably makes the randomly generated passwords less secure, but, otherwise the CAPTCHA was practically unusable.
tshore

Return to OCS Technical Support