OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Timeline in chronological order

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Timeline in chronological order

Postby mga » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:26 pm

Hi

With the current way of displaying the conference Timeline (that is, group by event category) it is difficult to discern a real timeline (that is, a series of events that will happen in chronological order).

For example:

Instead of:

Conference
First day of conference November 17, 2010
Last day of conference November 19, 2010

Website
Go Live (as a Current Conference) September 1, 2009
Move to Conference Archive September 1, 2011

Submissions
Author registration opened September 1, 2009
Author registration closed September 1, 2011

We would like:

Conference Timeline

Go Live (as a Current Conference) September 1, 2009
Author registration opened September 1, 2009
First day of conference November 17, 2010
Last day of conference November 19, 2010
Move to Conference Archive September 1, 2011
Author registration closed September 1, 2011

I couldn't find the template to modify so this can be done. The only templates I found were on the manager side.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance
mga

Re: Timeline in chronological order

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:39 pm

Hi mga,

If all you want to modify is the way .../conf/schedConfmanager/timeline is displayed, you can edit templates/manager/timelineEdit.tpl.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby mga » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:01 pm

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Although if we were to change any event to some other date that alters the chronological order, we would have to do it by hand again in that .tpl. Is there a way for that table to display in the order each event is supposed to happen automagically?

Thanks

Mauricio
mga

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:33 pm

Hi Mauricio,

You should be able to do so using the Smarty template logic after some poking around. I'm not particularly sure I understand the usefulness of this however: this is an internal, administrative page, and modifying the way it appears would have short-term positive results with long-term issues (keeping the page up to date during upgrades, for example). If you're eager to do it, I'd suggest taking a look at the Smarty documentation at http://smarty.net, and browse the forums for Smarty advice. Let us know if you have any specific questions.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby mga » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:46 pm

Hi

But visitors can see the page here:

http://sigradi2010.uniandes.edu.co/inde ... f/timeline

What I mean is that the current view (grouped by theme) is less useful (IMO) than a chronological view.

Thanks

Mauricio
mga

Postby jamief » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:49 am

mga wrote:Hi
What I mean is that the current view (grouped by theme) is less useful (IMO) than a chronological view.

Probably the EASIEST solution is this:

1. Display your timeline according to the OCS template.
2. Copy and paste it into a Text document (word, notebook whatever)
3. Copy and paste line by line according to date, each entry into a new HTML page on your site.
4. Publish this page as a static html page.
5. UNPUBLISH the OCS version of the timeline (in the configuration)
6. Create a menu link to the new html version of the timeline.

Usually the dates do not change in a conference, especially if they have been previously published. If you have to add an update (for example extending the time limit for receiving final papers) then you do that on this page, which permits you to add things the OCS timeline does not, so its more useful.
jamief

Postby mga » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:43 pm

Hi

Thanks.

Will try this.
mga

Return to OCS Technical Support