OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Spanish dialog errors

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Spanish dialog errors

Postby santillan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:46 pm

Dear friends,

Actually we choose OCS 2.1.1 as plataform for our conferences.
We try to implememt RIBDA event and foun a few errors in spanish dialog.
You can see it:
screen_sp.jpg
screen_sp.jpg (109.31 KiB) Viewed 870 times

Can you help us?

Julio Santillán
RIBDA 2009 Webmaster
santillan

Re: Spanish dialog errors

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:51 pm

Hi Julio,

That error points to a non-translated block plugin -- specifically, the locale file in plugins/blocks/navigation/locale/.... You can translate it manually, or you can use the translation plugin (only available if you can log in as a Site Administrator).

As a side note, we are planning on releasing a new stability version of OCS in the next month or two. This new version won't have that much in the way of new locales to translate, but just the same we will be looking for volunteers to contribute to the translation process. Please let me know if you might be interested in such work; and also if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby santillan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:05 am

Hi James,

I can to contribute to the translation process with a few spanish terms.
Currently we are translating the words missing that we need for our site.

Cheers,
Julio
santillan

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:18 pm

Hi Julio,

That's excellent! Would you be able to email me your full affiliation as you would like it to appear on http://pkp.sfu.ca/ocs-languages/spanish, as well as the email address you would like to be contacted at? My email is jmacgreg at gmail dot com. I will notify you as soon as we solicit help with our translation update.

Many thanks,
James
jmacgreg

Postby Charles.Vincent » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:08 am

James,

The translation I've worked on while preparing SIGraDi Congress has many of those missing translations.
Yet, as I said before, a real native spanish speaker would be a great help on the revision of some of the expressions !

I have many of the translated locales and I can send them, if you wish...

Charles Vincent
Charles.Vincent

Postby mga » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:47 pm

Hi

I am having this trouble also. What plugin did you say it was so I can translate my site messages to spanish? I have admin access.

Where can I download the plugin?

Once translated I can send you the locale file if you need it.

Thanks
mga

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:08 pm

Hi mga,

You can find the plugin in the Conference Manager's User Home page, under System Plugins. It's a generic plugin called "Translator plugin".

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby mga » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:24 pm

Hi

Found it!

Thanks
mga

Postby jamief » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:38 am

One of the issues in the spanish translation, at least in the versions in OCS that I have been working with, have some problems of consistency in translation terms.
This is especially true of words like:

Hotel / Accomodation which are being translated using a number of terms like hoteles, hospedaje, alojamiento.
Congresos, conferencias for conferences.

Sala, habitación, for Room

There are many of these issues. This is due to either having multiple translations, differences in vocabulary across the hispanic speaking world, not having a single final editor, etc. It's not a problem until, for example, we click on hospedaje, and later in another menu item, that word becomes alojamiento.

Another issue is deciding, definitavely, on things like what we should call the CALL FOR PAPERS, and especially: TRACKS.
I have seen: Track politicas, Track Policy, Secciones, Temas, Congreso Tracks, etc.

The thing is that for user interface, the ideal would be to find the most promising phrase here, and use that. IF that is possible!
jamief

Postby mga » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:13 pm

The best would be to have some sort of in-place translation because "Room" actually IS "Habitación" unless you refer to the "Room" where a presentation is made (that would be "Sala" in some places). If you are provided the word by itself, the translation could be mistaken (and we do have the Tracks problem). Instead, if you had a "translate this" link beside any given title (visible to admins only or maybe to yet-untranslated text only) you could easily jump to and admin interface where you fill in the missing/incorrect text.

I know this is a hassle to implement but it wouldbe a very nice addition. I am currently translating a BUNCH of text that is missing from the Spanish version (I prefer the Spain version since in Argentina words are quite different... I know that might sound odd).
mga

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:56 pm

Hi folks,

This has definitely been an issue over time, and actually moreso (as far as we've heard) for Spanish than for any other language. There is a custom locale plugin (see System Plugins -> Generic Plugins -> Custom Locale) which allows you to customize any installed locale on your system. I think that this is a short-term solution though (or one better suited for special cases), because it only standardizes one install.

Another alternative would be to have one institution take over responsibility for Spanish; do an audit; and standardize it as well as possible. We've had this happen with French, but only because we're in Canada (so French important) and because we have a reciprocal partnership with a French university. We unfortunately don't have the money to put towards maintaining a Spanish translation, and we've seen many, many people and institutions work on Spanish in particular, which contributes to the lack of standardized terminology.

Another recent suggestion to develop a basic standards list/grammar/ruleset for Spanish translators (and the same kind of thing for other translators). While we can't contribute directly to the discussion and creation of such a list, we're happy having people use our wiki to do just that. As a matter of fact, there's even a page right here, under the Languages subheading, for just such a thing for Spanish.

Other suggestions are very welcome. If you'd like more information on working with translations, just let us know!

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OCS Technical Support