OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Limit the Abstract to 250 word

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Re: Limit the Abstract to 250 word

Postby asmecher » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:31 am

Hi Ionut,

That patch was incorrectly generated; I've uploaded an updated version.

See also the note from docs/UPGRADE regarding patch-based upgrades:
Patch upgrades will NOT include any binary files that were introduced in the
new version, i.e. any GIF images that are needed in the new version but were
not included in the old version. To find a list of binaries that should be
manually added after applying the patch, search the patch file for lines like:
"Binary files (filename here) differ" (not including the quotes). These files
can be found in the distribution archive.
Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby igotea » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:35 am

Hello Alec,

I have applied the patch as you did here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3931&start=15

Also copied the files from the ocs2.3 archive to my instance on the server ()

When I run

# php tools/upgrade.php patch
# php tools/upgrade.php upgrade

nothing happen.

I have seen that /lib/tinymce is missing on the ocs2.3. Should I remove the folder from the server ?

The big problem for me is that after these operations the site is not working: http://conferences.usamvcj.ro and now is the period when people must submit their abstract to the conference site!

This is the link for the log of the patching process http://usamvd.e-cat.ro/ocs/patch%20to%202.3.txt

Give me a clue where to start repair!

Thanks
igotea

Postby asmecher » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:44 am

Hi Ionut,

Back up everything before you start.

If you're not getting any output from the tools, something must be wrong with the installation files. First, find out what configuration file your command-line tool is using. Run:
Code: Select all
php -i
...and look for the configuration file name (php.ini) in the output. That will tell you where the configuration file is. It may be different from your web server's php.ini file.

Make sure the MySQL module is loaded if necessary (again, this might be needed because of a different php.ini file than your web server uses).

Make sure the error_reporting and display_startup_errors directives are properly configured in php.ini to display errors.

Then try again and see if you get anything more helpful. Other things to check:
  • Are your file permissions properly set? The command-line tool might require different permissions than your web server. Make sure the cache/ subdirectory and all of its contents can be administered.
  • Did the patch somehow get garbled? I see a lot of failure messages in your patch output. Consider unpacking and using a fresh copy of the OCS 2.3 installation, as per the "3. Full Package" section in docs/UPGRADE.
Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby igotea » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:23 am

Thanks Alec for your prompt response.

I think the failure of my site is due to the big number of errors in the patch output. I will try to use a fresh copy of OCS 2.3

Regards, Ionut
igotea

Upgrade to OCS 2.3, old presentations are missing

Postby igotea » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:27 am

Hi Alec,

I have upgraded to OCS 2.3. I have followed all the information from Upgrade.txt.

After doing:
Code: Select all
php tools/upgrade.php upgrade

The return was an error : duplicate entry (7--filterTrack-0-0) at key 1

In phpMyadmin i have searched trough the data base the "filterTrack" and returned 12 results in user_settings (from which 2 where identical, with the user_id=7, and the value for conference_id=1 and 2)
After deleting one of the duplicates, the result of the php tools/upgrade.php upgrade was : Successfully updated to 2.3
The site is running ok now, except one problem (at least for the moment)

Now, I encounter the following problems:
- for both conferences, all the previous submissions are missing. http://conferences.usamvcj.ro/index.php/simpo/simpo2009/schedConf/presentations
In the DB, for the table papers, there are more than 1400 entries.

What could be the problem ?

Anoter question:

I have transalated in romanian more than half of the locale.xml file from the version 2.1.2. How can I compare with the new locale.xml from the version 2.3 ?

Regards, Ionut
igotea

Postby asmecher » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:19 am

Hi Ionut,

Check to make sure that the contents of your cache/ directory, and all contents and subdirectories, are writable by the web server user. This may cause the missing submissions to reappear. Otherwise, check your director's queues to see if they appear there, and if so, where.

We have a script we use to split locale files -- see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=1444 -- so that OJS pre-2.3 locale files can be used with OCS 2.3 (and future releases). It's a little tricky to use, though, so I'd suggest finishing the OCS 2.1.2 translation and submitting it to us for management.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby igotea » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:17 am

Thanks for the response Alec,

I have verified the ownership of the cache folder and subfolders; this was 1000 for the owner and group. For the previous OCS instalation it was 777 for the owner and 1000 for the group.

I have changed to be 777 for owner and 1000 for group for the cache folder and subfolders. For the others files in cache folder the owner and group is apache. The old papers are still not displayed.

What do you mean by: "
Otherwise, check your director's queues to see if they appear there, and if so, where.
"

Thanks, Ionut
igotea

Postby igotea » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:34 am

Alec,

going further to understand you, in the /cache/_db for the current installation are 10 folders. In the old instalation where more than 200. These are the missing presentations ?

Ionut
igotea

Postby asmecher » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:39 am

Hi Ionut,

All the contents of cache/ should take care of themselves, but if the web server user doesn't have write permissions for all contents, the system might misbehave.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby igotea » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:49 am

igotea

Postby asmecher » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:58 am

Hi Ionut,

I don't recommend using 777 permissions -- they're risky -- but it's hard to say definitively what permissions to use, because every server is different. There are numerous threads in this forum discussing permissions.

Regarding directors' queues, log in as a Director and see if the missing presentations show up in the lists available to that user (e.g. In Review; Presentations; etc.) and if so, which list they appear in.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby igotea » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:04 pm

Hi again Alec,

as a director, there is no submission available, 0 Unassigned 0 In Review 0 Presentations, also Archive is empty.
There are only 3 submissions available as a reviewer. The same thing for the other directors.

Ionut
igotea

Postby asmecher » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:27 pm

Hi Ionut,

Can you check your server's error log to see if there is anything useful there?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby igotea » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:04 am

Hi Alec,

here you can find the error log: http://usamvd.e-cat.ro/ocs/

I hope this will find in solving the problem.

Thanks,

Ionut
igotea

Postby asmecher » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:52 am

Hi Ionut,

The messages you see in the log can be addressed by patching bugs #5098 http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=5098 and #5099 http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=5099, but neither explains why your submissions are missing after the upgrade...

The SQL queries to get the Director's submission lists haven't changed much between OCS 2.1.2 and OCS 2.3, so this is an unusual situation. Before I dig into it further, are you sure something unusual didn't happen to your database during the upgrade process, i.e. something outside of the upgrade directions?

If you're sure, the quickest thing to do might be to send me a database dump (privately, as you might expose your conference data otherwise).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Previous

Return to OCS Technical Support