OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

exporting abstracts

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

exporting abstracts

Postby stephanehess » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:15 am

Hi,

our conference has received over 100 abstract submissions and I've been trying to export these into a useable format, rather than assigning papers to reviewers one by one. However, when I select any of the plugins, the list of papers is empty. Does this feature only work for accepted papers? At the moment, we have only completed the first stage of the process with authors submitting only abstracts.

Thanks

Stephane
stephanehess

Re: exporting abstracts

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:18 am

Hi Stephane,

Are you trying to use the Import/Export papers plugin? IIRC, it only exports papers that have been 'published'. I haven't actually tested the plugin with OCS extensively (which I should), so I'm not sure if it exports abstracts that have been accepted if the paper review isn't also complete. I'll take a look and get back to you, but if you could furnish me with a bit more detail on how you're exporting, I would appreciate it.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby stephanehess » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:56 pm

James,

thanks.

At the present stage, authors are only submitting an abstract, i.e. not a full paper. We have now received about 110 of these, and counting. I would like to be able to export them all into a file along with the author information. The plugins only seem to work for accepted papers, so that doesn't appear to be an option. I had a look in phpMyAdmin and I can find the relevant fields with the abstracts and the author information. However, I can't find an easy way of exporting this in a useable format, i.e. dumping only those fields into say a text file or spreadsheet

Thanks in advance

Stephane
stephanehess

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:15 pm

Hi Stephane,

I'm sort of an idiot sometimes, and occasionally forget about crucial new features added to our software -- which version of OCS are you using? OCS 2.1 onwards include report functionality, including a papers report -- this includes all submission information (except the submission files) in .csv format. I don't believe these reports are available for 2.0 however.

If you are using 2.0, and since reports are actually plugins, you might be able to grab the most recent version of OCS and try implementing the reports/papers plugin included therein -- but these plugins may not be backwards-compatible, so it may not work.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby stephanehess » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:26 pm

James,

thanks. I should have spotted that one myself. I managed to do it this afternoon by extracting relevant fields from the sql database, but ran into problems, e.g. with carriage return. The report function works fine and makes it all a lot easier!

Stephane
stephanehess

Postby stephanehess » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:20 am

James,

just one more thing. The report option only exports information on one author. Would it be easy to change it to exporting information on all authors of a paper?

Thanks

Stephane
stephanehess

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:30 am

Hi Stephane,

You are talking about when a submission has multiple authors, correct? I'm not sure how easy that would be to implement, but if you can confirm, I don't mind posting this as an enhancement. No guarantees on how quickly it will be implemented, though.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby stephanehess » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:39 am

James,

yes, that's what I mean. A lot of our papers have multiple authors and it would be good to export that information too

Regards

Stephane
stephanehess

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:07 pm

Hi Stephane,

Just posted: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3832. Please feel free to Cc yourself to that report to receive notifications of any activity; and to post any further comments you may have there.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OCS Technical Support