OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Registration confirmation

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Registration confirmation

Postby stephanehess » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:27 am

Hi,

I'm using OCS 2.1 and have noticed that my delegates don't receive a confirmation registration. When they register for the conference, I get a manual payment notification, and I then have the option of telling OCS that the delegates have indeed paid their fees. However, no e-mails are being sent to the delegates at any point.

Ideally, I would like the system to send people an e-mail to say their registration has been received and payment will be processed offline. This would be sent alongside the manual payment notification that the system sends me.

When a delegate has paid, the system should then send them an e-mail to confirm their registration.

I thought I'd found a fix for this (http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3234), but this only seems to be for older versions of OCS.

Any help?

Thanks

Stephane
stephanehess

Re: Registration confirmation

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:39 pm

Hi Stephane,

If you use the manual payment option, you'll have to also send the email manually when the registration has been made -- that is, you'll have to check the box to send the user an email with their username and registration details. The patch you link to is for when a user uses the registration page to also enroll with the site -- essentially, for first-time registrants with the site as a whole, not with the scheduled conference itself. The issue with sending a notification email when a user manually registers (without actually enrolling) is that technically it isn't a receipt -- that is, it's just a note to say that their registration will at some point be processed.

Have you tried that option of sending an email on payment confirmation; and if you have, am I correct in understanding that the email did not get sent out?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby stephanehess » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:11 pm

James,

thanks. Ticking that box seems to work in terms of confirming manual payment. I was just wondering if there was a way for the system to automatically send a message saying that the registration has been received and to await communications relating to offline payment.

Stephane
stephanehess

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:56 pm

Hi Stephane,

Apologies for not getting back to you earlier. You can find a post on how to generate automatic emails here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3549. It's a fairly complete rundown, and includes instructions on how to add the email to the Email Log (if you're using it). If you have any questions, just let us know.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby stephanehess » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:31 am

Hi James,

I finally got around to trying to add an automatic invoice e-mail to the registrants. I've made a start on it, but I still have quite a few problems.

I've created a new e-mail template called INVOICE. This contains the following:
Code: Select all
Dear {$registrantName}:

We have received your registration for the {$schedConfName}.

The cost of this registration is: {$itemCost} ({$itemCurrencyCode}).

Before we can confirm the registration, please arrange for the conference fees to be paid using one of the following options:

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

{$registrationContactSignature}

The ... will be replaced by banking details, etc.

Then, in the file ManualPaymentPlugin.inc.php under \plugins\paymethod\manual, I have added the following at the end:

import('mail.MailTemplate');
      $registrantName = $schedConf->getSetting('registrationName');
      $contactEmail = $schedConf->getSetting('registrationEmail');
      $mail = &new MailTemplate('INVOICE');
      $mail->setFrom($contactEmail, $contactName);
      $mail->addRecipient($contactEmail, $contactName);
      $mail->assignParams(array(
         'schedConfName' => $schedConf->getFullTitle(),
         'itemCost' => $queuedPayment->getAmount(),
         'itemCurrencyCode' => $queuedPayment->getCurrencyCode()
      ));
      $mail->send();

This however still has some problems. I need to set a value for {$registrantName} and don't know where to get it from. Same for {$registrationContactSignature}.

Finally, at the moment, the system sends this e-mail to me (the conference organiser), whereas I want it to go to the registrant, with a cc to me.

Sorry, this is as far as I've managed to get, and any help with the above issues would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Stephane
stephanehess

Postby mcrider » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:50 pm

Hi Stephane,

Looks good so far! To get the variables for the user variable, you'll have to call the current user object and then you can assign some of its attributes to variables to be passed into the email template (check out classes/user/User.inc.php for functions you can use to get data about the user). Something like this should do the trick:
$user = &Request::getUser();
$signature = $user->getContactSignature();
$registrantName = $user->getFullName();
$registrantEmail = $user->getEmail();

And add '$mail->addCC($contactEmail, $contactName)' so the email gets CC'd to you (What might be confusing is that the 'contact' variables are for the journal's official contact, not the person who is making the manual payment), and change '$mail->addRecipient($contactEmail, $contactName)' to '$mail->addRecipient($registrantEmail, $registrantName)' . Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby stephanehess » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:55 am

Matt,

thanks. I'm now using the following, which works fine:
      import('mail.MailTemplate');
      $user = &Request::getUser();
      $registrantName = $user->getFullName();
      $registrantEmail = $user->getEmail();
      $contactName = $schedConf->getSetting('registrationName');
      $contactEmail = $schedConf->getSetting('registrationEmail');
      $mail = &new MailTemplate('INVOICE');
      $mail->setFrom($contactEmail, $contactName);
      $mail->addRecipient($registrantEmail, $registrantName);
      $mail->addCC($contactEmail, $contactName);
      $mail->assignParams(array(
         'registrantName' => $user->getFullName(),
         'contactName' => $contactName,
         'schedConfName' => $schedConf->getFullTitle(),
         'itemDescription' => $queuedPayment->getDescription(),
         'itemCost' => $queuedPayment->getAmount(),
         'itemCurrencyCode' => $queuedPayment->getCurrencyCode()
      ));
      $mail->send();

Just one final thing. Is there a way to set the default position for the "Send the user an email with their username and registration details" on the "Edit Registration Page" to ticked?

Thanks

Stephane
stephanehess

Postby mcrider » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:42 pm

Hi Stephane,

In templates/registration/registrationForm.tpl, around line 50, change
<td width="5%"><input type="checkbox" name="notifyEmail" id="notifyEmail" value="1"{if $notifyEmail} checked="checked"{/if} /></td>
to...
<td width="5%"><input type="checkbox" name="notifyEmail" id="notifyEmail" value="1" checked="checked" /></td>

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby stephanehess » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:05 am

thanks
stephanehess

Return to OCS Technical Support