OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Registration and payment HAVE to be done in the same process

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Registration and payment HAVE to be done in the same process

Postby petal » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:28 am

Both registration and payment HAVE to be done in one and the same process - payment cannot be picked up at a later point in time?

Hi all, I have a “problem” that I hope someone in here has a solution for.

I’m managing a conference using OCS 2.0.0.0, and I’m using PayPal as the primary method of payment.
My problem is that both registration and payment have to be done in one and the same process. The payment can not be picked up at a later point in time. This generates a flood of mails from registrants who didn’t complete both registration and payment in one and the same process or who just had problems with PayPal or some other sort of problem during registration and payment.
I then have to manually delete their registration in order for them to be able to try again, but then it gets tricky, because both their username and email address is still in the OCS somewhere forcing them to think up a new username and use a different emailaddress...
All my problems would be solved if an already registered user could log into the system and then complete the payment at his own time. Is this possible to implement somehow or does this feature already exist? And if yes could someone please tell me how or where?

Best regards,
Thomas Jeppesen
Conference Manager
petal

Re: Registration and payment HAVE to be done in the same process

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:26 am

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your comments. To address what I think is the biggest specific issue: visitors to your conference site should be able to register/enroll themselves as readers (and optionally as reviewers and authors) without needing to pay a registration fee; this option is the one available from the top navigation bar if they are not already logged in, and will give them a username, password, and editable profile that can be used across all conferences site-wide

To register for the conference itself, they need to be either enrolled already, or need to fill out an enrollment form along with the registration payment form. This form is available from the scheduled conference website, either from the sidebar or from the scheduled conference home page.

If a user messes up a paid registration form but has already created an account for themselves on the site, you shouldn't need to remove their user profile or ask them to come up with another profile to process a new registration. You should be able to go to your registration page (linked to from the Conference Management pages), click the Delete button next to their registration, and ask them to log in and redo the registration process from the scheduled conference home page.

We are looking to making the payments system a little more streamlined, so any comments on how this does or doesn't work are much appreciated. In addition, you may be interested in the following bug reports:

http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2867
http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2860

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby petal » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:50 am

Hi James,

Thank you very much for responding, your answer has been helpful allready.

If a user messes up a paid registration form but has already created an account for themselves on the site, you shouldn't need to remove their user profile or ask them to come up with another profile to process a new registration. You should be able to go to your registration page (linked to from the Conference Management pages), click the Delete button next to their registration, and ask them to log in and redo the registration process from the scheduled conference home page.

I understand the need for having both user-accounts and conference-registrants, but it is a bit confusing for a lot of my registrants.
But the biggest problem is the need for me to delete a conference registration that has not been completed by payment. This particular situation is causing a lot of mail-correspondence since the registration process does not match how normal curious people act in real life. The process and it's consequences is simply not intuitive. A lot of people tend to start the registration process just to explore their options. Others just don't like PayPal. Others again stops the process for various reasons after they hit the "register"-button on the registration form. All cases leading me and them to a situation where external communication is needed. Explaining the issue involving registration beforehand only works as far as people reads the instructions, which many people don't.

I have been in contact with at least one third of all registrants about this very issue so far, which to me proves that something is not working as expected from the users point of view.

What I think would make the registration/payment process more streamlined is an option from the profile to pick up a registration-process that has not been completed by payment. Users needs to be able to pick up the registration at a later point themselves and maybe even make changes to which fee-option they would like to pay for.

Any way, thank you very much for responding to my problem here :)

Best regards,
Thomas Jeppesen
Conference Manager
petal

Postby petal » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:04 am

My frustrations is forcing me to make another entry.

The problem described in this thread is a perfect exacple of how a program that works, but because of flawed user design is experienced as almost completely broken to the people who have to use/work with it.

The amount of people I've had to guide through step by step because of this minor little detail, that you can not pickup payment at a later time (the customers time), is insane. Put on top of that the amnount of people who run into trouble because of PayPals policies towards credit cards and therefore are unable to complete payment, and you've got yourself a very timeconsuming system that demands manual resolvement in each and every single case.

I've worked quite a bit with OSC 2.0 now, and it is my experience that except for a few wierd problems, this program actually works as intended. OSC's biggest problem at this point is that the intentions have not been thought through from a users perspective.

I really hope that the people behind OSC have a major user design update planned for the near future, otherwise I fear that people will be fleeing this program because it's simply too timeconsuming to support.

I'm sorry for the rant, but OSC just hit a nerve this morning...

Thomas
petal

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:56 pm

HI Petal,

Apologies for not getting back to your last post sooner -- I've been on vacation, as I believe others have as well.

I've sent this thread to the payment plugin author to take a look at. Since the payment plugin is new (not to mention of use to a great many conferences and journals) we really appreciate any feedback, positive or negative.

The plugin has seen some continued development since OCS 2.0, and some of the problems you mention above have been fixed; see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3166. I would suggest upgrading when possible and taking a look. While OCS 2.0 was a significant release and a major upgrade from the 1.x line, it wasn't without its flaws, many of which have been corrected in 2.1.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OCS Technical Support