OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Track Director cannot make Director Decisions

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Track Director cannot make Director Decisions

Postby muratoo » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:23 pm

Hi, I'm running 1.1.7 and one of my track directors was able to make director decisions on July 4 (such as accept, reject, etc.), but is now unable to make any decisions at all through the interface.

Even when I login as me (with role of Conference Manager), I cannot make a director decision. (I'm also listed with roles on the Conference Committee and as a Track Director.)

The drop-down box is not enabled, and the submit button is grayed out.

(I'm using Firefox 3.0 on a Mac.)

Thanks.
muratoo

Re: Track Director cannot make Director Decisions

Postby muratoo » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:05 pm

After digging through the code, the database seems to think the conference or the paper is in the wrong stage? Though I can't see how that gets set anywhere.

From /pages/trackDirector/SubmissionEditHandler.inc.php

$isCurrent = ($stage == $submission->getCurrentStage());

$allowRecommendation = $isCurrent &&
($submission->getReviewFileId() || $stage != REVIEW_STAGE_PRESENTATION) &&
!empty($editAssignments);

That tracks back through to /templates/trackDirector/submission.tpl which is where the system seems to prevent a track director from making a track decision.
muratoo

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:10 pm

Hi Muratoo,

Are you sure you are using 1.1.7 and not a new release? Is this happening with every submission, or just one? Is it happening at the abstract or paper review stage? If it's just a few submissions that are displaying this behaviour, I would guess that there is something holding the decision process up -- an incomplete review, or a missing review version.

If you can reply with more detail, I can give further advice.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby muratoo » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:29 pm

You're right, we're using 2.0.0.0 -- I just confirmed that on our site. I forgot if 2.1 was the brand new version or 2.0.0 was.

The problem appears for all submissions in the system.

Currently there are no reviewers assigned to any submission--we're skipping that step and having the Track Director make the accept/reject decision outright. There is a Track Director assigned to each submission.

(In your post you mention something about the abstract and paper review stages. It's not clear to me what the difference might be between the abstract and paper review stages -- they seem to be one and the same the way we're trying to use the system.)

On July 4, he could make these decisions--on July 6 and after he could not. The submission process was open until July 4--which, of course the system lists as July 5 because of the way it's programmed. At midnightish July 4/July 5 I believe the system automatically shut down submissions. It doesn't seem as if closing submissions should affect the ability of the track director to make decisions. I tried reopening the submissions, setting the date to July 16--but this does not seem to affect the ability to make decisions.

At this point, as conference manager/conference committee/track director even I cannot make any decisions about any of the submissions. They're all locked out, which seems to have something to do with the code I found previously (or not, but that's what we were able to figure out through our digging).

Also, I tried creating a reviewer in the system and assigning the reviewer to the submission. But when I log in as a reviewer (a different user) I don't see the paper that I was assigned. (I did this with multiple reviewer accounts, but none can see the paper.)

It seems as if we might be able to hack the code to remove the checks for whether or not the action should be allowed, or change entries in the db directly--but that doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the system and any other problems we might encounter.

Brandon
muratoo

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:58 am

Hi Brandon,

Regarding the inability to make a director decision: have you at any time reset the options in Step 2 (Submissions) or 3 (Review) of the Conference Setup -- especially (but not only) around the 4th? Unfortunately, OCS 2.0 doesn't handle changes to the scheduled conference setup pages particularly gracefully, although 2.1 does. If you have changed the type of submission materials you accept in step 2.1, any items submitted against the first submission process will be slightly orphaned. I would suggest that if you have made any changes to any option in either of those steps, to revert the changes and see if you can then commit a Director Decision.

You may also want to take a look at the following thread for advice on how to revert a Director's "Complete" action: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3064.

Please let us know how this goes, or if you need any further help.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby muratoo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:05 am

Well, somehow that appears to be the case. All of the text entered on Step 2 of the process is now gone. And I'm not sure how I set things up earlier to know what I'd have to add back in.

Is there any reasonable way of rescuing the data within the system, or should I just extract it all from the database into a spreadsheet and punt on the system. I'm greatly leaning toward this option.

I know I did not delete any of the text, nor delete any of the submission checklist items, or to my knowledge make any changes to these pages.

Brandon
muratoo

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:11 pm

Hi Brandon,

The most important thing in Step 2 is getting the Submission Materials option right -- if you fix that, you should be able to return to your submission queue and make director decisions.

Can you remember what you originally required for submission material under Step 2.1? My suspicion is that you required more than just an abstract -- did you originally have a two-step abstract and then proposal review process? Or both, but in one step? If that page has somehow reset or blanked itself, the system will only give you the one review process for submission files (which is presumably what you are seeing now); if material has been submitted against a different kind of materials workflow, the submission will still be flagged as part of that workflow and will most likely cause problems with the now-reset workflow.

I'm not sure how or why that page would've reset itself or otherwise be blank; I'll try and get back to you on that, but I don't believe we have encountered that kind of problem before.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:28 pm

Hi Brandon,

I've just asked our lead developer about the disappearing data issue, and he thinks this may be a back-button problem; for OCS 2.0, it was possible to hit the back button a few times and get the web browser to innocently ask for the setup form without submitting any data, causing OCS to assume all the fields were blank. Checks have been added since then to ensure this won't happen (and they're in OCS 2.1).

When you get your submission/director decision problem fixed, I would recommend completing the rest of the submissions, and then upgrading to 2.1: while 2.0 was a substantial release of OCS over the 1.x series, there have been many bug fixes of this type committed since then, and OCS 2.1 has proven to be quite stable.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OCS Technical Support