OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Open Access to full abstracts?

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Open Access to full abstracts?

Postby spatialguru » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:24 am

I'm struggling to find how to open unregistered access to abstracts. I see reference to settings in OJS, but wondering if there are similar ones in OCS. I can browse/search for articles and authors - that's great - but when clicking on abstract link it directs me to log in.
For example, from our current event:
http://conference.osgeo.org/index.php/foss4g/index/search/presenters/view?firstName=Miguel&middleName=&lastName=Montesinos&affiliation=PRODEVELOP
spatialguru

Re: Open Access to full abstracts?

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:51 pm

Hi Tyler,

You're still on 2.0, correct? I can think of a few places to check:

- In Website Management Step 2, double-check that at the bottom, you have "Provide open access to all visitors to the website" enabled;
- Make sure you've allowed access to accepted abstracts in your Conference Timeline

Let me know whether these options help or not.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby spatialguru » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:06 pm

Thanks James,

Yes, still on 2.0. Both your pointers seem to check out fine.

On the timeline we have "Accepted abstracts" set to June 1 (past) but "Accepted papers" to Aug 18 (future).

For "submission materials" at this event we have "Abstract followed by presentation" - could the "accepted papers" date be somehow slowly us down because of this two phase submission approach?

I'm grasping for straws ;)

Tyler
spatialguru

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:11 pm

Hi Tyler,

I'm not sure -- try switching the paper show date to the past, and see if that fixes things.

I'll be checking this out further right now.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby spatialguru » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:37 am

I've upgraded to 2.1 and this works fine now, so I'm moving on :)
spatialguru

Postby m.giordano » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:29 am

Hi all,

we have the same problem of Spatialguru: we would like to publish abstracts before the submission of papers. I have checked all the settings described by James, but no luck...
As to what I understand from the preceding posts, it seems to be a bug of version 2.0, and we are running version 2.0, BUT we are not planning to upgrade to 2.1 because of the consitent modifications we have made to the code and the layout....

Is there a patch we could apply for this specific problem?

Regards

Marco
m.giordano

Postby m.giordano » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:38 am

Hi all,

looking into Bugzilla I found this http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3560
Is this the correct one? Could we apply it to version 2.0?

Thanks

Marco
m.giordano

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:44 am

Hi Marco,

Yes, that should do it -- I would advise patching with the --dry-run option first to check for conflicts.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby vidar » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:49 am

Sorry to jump in on this thread at this late stage, but I have a similar problem with access to full papers.

The installation is 2.0, and at this stage I would prefer not to go through an upgrade.

In short, although website posting for accepted papers are set to a date in the past and open access is provided to all visitors, the presentation link only show links to the abstracts of accepted papers, and not links to the full paper.

Should I apply the patch mentioned above?
vidar

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:17 am

Hi vidar,

I'm not entirely sure you are encountering the same problem. Have you uploaded papers to be viewed -- and have you gone through the entire paper review process? What is your review workflow?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby vidar » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:03 pm

The last question first:
We have had an abstract followed by full paper submission, where only the abstract were peer reviewed. The full paper has of course the non-optional review process as well, but as soon as a paper is uploaded, the director records the "accept submission" and clicks "complete".

Thus, the uploaded and accepted paper is visible for the director and conference manager on the presentations overview, but not when choosing the presentations link in the right side menu.
vidar

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:22 pm

Hi Vidar,

To allow links to the full papers from the ToC, you'll have to upload a galley -- HTML or PDF. You should be able to do that from the Paper Review page. Try uploading a galley file (make sure you've checked the Galley radio button) and let me know if this solves the problem.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OCS Technical Support