OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Deleting Archived Submissions / Permission Denied

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Deleting Archived Submissions / Permission Denied

Postby ozcelik » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:38 am

Hi Alec:

When I try to delete files under the Archives, I get a couple of "permission denied" warnings related with "rmdir" and "unlink" functions like the following:

Warning: unlink(C:/.../uploaded_papers/conferences/14/schedConfs/12/papers/27//submission/original/27-43-1-SM.pdf) [function.unlink]: Permission denied in C:\...\classes\file\FileManager.inc.php on line 267

The delete process removes the name of the file from the Archives menu, but it does not remove it from the server, possibly because of the permission problems. How can I fix this?

Regards.
ozcelik

Re: Deleting Archived Submissions / Permission Denied

Postby smiri » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:13 pm

Hi ozcelik,

As far as I can tell, this is a permission problem on your files directory. You have to make sure your webserver user (probably "apache" or "nobody") has full access to the files directory.

Regards,
smiri

Postby ozcelik » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:01 am

Hi Smiri:

Thanks for prompt reply. I am using IIS 6. Should I give "Modify" access to the USERS for the uploaded_papers directory? My concern is that it may lead to a security hole if I do that. Is that so?

Regards,

Jason
ozcelik

Postby asmecher » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:11 am

Hi Jason,

Depending on how IIS is running PHP scripts (e.g. as an ISAPI module, FastCGI, or CGI), PHP scripts will run under various accounts. For ISAPI (probably the most common configuration), there's some information at http://forums.codewalkers.com/php-installation-46/fopen-causing-permission-errors-on-iis-46789.html on how IIS manages file permissions. Unfortunately we won't be able to provide more specific help, as we don't use IIS ourselves.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OCS Technical Support