OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

rescaling of main window

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

rescaling of main window

Postby stephanehess » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:11 am

Hi,

I have added some pictures into the scheduled conference description (1.1) that appears on the main page for my conference. I did this in html and wrapped text around the picture. This all works fine as long as nobody tries to change the size of the browser window. If you start rescaling the window, the text in this main window gets rearranged, and my wrapping around the pictures gets all mixed up.

Is it possible to fix the width of the main window so that it doesn't get rescaled as the browser window gets rescaled? This would get rid of my problem. This seems to be the case for the sidebars, but not for the main window, at least not on my page.

Thanks

Stephane
stephanehess

Re: rescaling of main window

Postby mcrider » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:21 pm

Hi Stephane,

Currently the minimum width for the content container is 730px, so if the user resizes the window, it will get no smaller than that. You can edit that value in the css file located at /styles/common.css, under the #container element. You should also be able to add a min-width to just the #main div which holds the text.

Is it possible for you to send me a link to your page so I can see what exactly the problem you are having is?

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby stephanehess » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:19 pm

Matt,

thanks. I ended up putting a new min and max in the container one, together with a max in the main one. Putting only a min in the main one meant that it dropped it to the bottom of the screen (so below the navigation bar).

Stephane
stephanehess

Postby mcrider » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:15 pm

Stephane,

Yeah OCS/OJS are finnicky with that at the moment.. A slight change of width, margin, padding, etc will cause the main div to drop down. Fortunately, there will be a complete overhaul of the layout structure to be implemented in the next major release.

Glad I could help!
Matt
mcrider

Postby stephanehess » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:45 am

Matt,

I've just noticed that while this works in Firefox, it has no effect in Internet Explorer, at least version 6 (seems to be better in version 7). I.e. the window still resizes. It also means that it looks bad on some screens. After putting in the settings about window width, the Firefox versions looks exactly the same in different resolutions (which I want) but the IE one doesn't. If it helps, the url is http://www.jocm.org.uk/conference

You will see for example that the logo of one of ours sponsors gets cut off in the IE version (right at the bottom) while it works fine in the Firefox version. This seems to happen with and without the minimum width terms, so this could be another (albeit major) problem.

Cheers

Stephane
stephanehess

Postby mcrider » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:53 am

Stephane,

Ah yes, I failed to remember that IE 6 and prior doesn't recognize the min-width attribute. You might try just setting the width of the main div to a pixel width, and not just a percentage width. The problem is that you are using tables inside the main div, and some of them shrink when the window gets smaller in IE (that is, the ones that use percentage widths), and some of them clip (i.e. the ones that use pixel widths, such as the first row of sponsor images). If you want IE 6 support, I would suggest ditching the tables (or at least their fixed widths) and allowing the sponsor images to scroll down to a new line if necessary, and using CSS' text wrap around the top images. But that is quite a bit of work, so try setting the width property for the main div first.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Return to OCS Technical Support