OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Events Logs translation problem

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Events Logs translation problem

Postby crihou2 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:51 am

Hi

In OCS2.1.0.1 why "log.timeline " messages group used in Conferrence's "Events Logs" isn't translated ?

Nevertheless lines exist in the supported languages : One translation line (the others exist but i haven't get them)
../../../locale/en_US/locale.xml: <message key="log.timeline.closeCommentsDateChanged">The comments close date changed from {$oldCloseCommentsDate} to {$newCloseCommentsDate}.</message>

These lines aren't translated :
../../../classes/manager/form/TimelineForm.inc.php: 0, 'log.timeline.startDateChanged',
../../../classes/manager/form/TimelineForm.inc.php: 0, 'log.timeline.endDateChanged',
../../../classes/manager/form/TimelineForm.inc.php: 0, 'log.timeline.regPresenterOpenDateChanged',
../../../classes/manager/form/TimelineForm.inc.php: 0, 'log.timeline.regPresenterCloseDateChanged',
../../../classes/manager/form/TimelineForm.inc.php: 0, 'log.timeline.showCFPDateChanged',
../../../classes/manager/form/TimelineForm.inc.php: 0, 'log.timeline.submissionsOpenDateChanged',
../../../classes/manager/form/TimelineForm.inc.php: 0, 'log.timeline.submissionsCloseDateChanged',
../../../classes/manager/form/TimelineForm.inc.php: 0, 'log.timeline.regReviewerOpenDateChanged',
../../../classes/manager/form/TimelineForm.inc.php: 0, 'log.timeline.regReviewerCloseDateChanged',
../../../classes/manager/form/TimelineForm.inc.php: 0, 'log.timeline.postAbstractsDateChanged',
../../../classes/manager/form/TimelineForm.inc.php: 0, 'log.timeline.postAbstractsChanged',
../../../classes/manager/form/TimelineForm.inc.php: 0, 'log.timeline.postScheduleDateChanged',
../../../classes/manager/form/TimelineForm.inc.php: 0, 'log.timeline.postScheduleChanged',
../../../classes/manager/form/TimelineForm.inc.php: 0, 'log.timeline.postPapersDateChanged',
../../../classes/manager/form/TimelineForm.inc.php: 0, 'log.timeline.postPapersChanged',
../../../classes/manager/form/TimelineForm.inc.php: 0, 'log.timeline.delayOpenAccessDateChanged',
../../../classes/manager/form/TimelineForm.inc.php: 0, 'log.timeline.delayOpenAccessChanged',
../../../classes/manager/form/TimelineForm.inc.php: 0, 'log.timeline.closeCommentsDateChanged',
../../../classes/manager/form/TimelineForm.inc.php: 0, 'log.timeline.closeCommentsChanged',

"Evnes Logs" screen results (in any supported languages) :
Conference configuration changed
##log.timeline.closeCommentsDateChanged##

Regards.
crihou2

Re: Events Logs translation problem

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:31 pm

Hi Crihou2,

Which locale pack are you using? You may have to add those lines to it to complete your translation. If you'd like help with this, please let me know; if if you are willing to forward us a completed translation, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks,
James
jmacgreg

Postby crihou2 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:46 am

Hi James,

I use en_US and fr_FR (copy from fr_CA)

There is no lack : I said that lines existed in these locale.xml files
Remember : "Nevertheless lines exist in the supported languages : One translation line (the others exist but i haven't get them)..."

By continuing to look I found something else : The problem comes from the "conference_events" table's content, field "message".
In this "message" field I have translated things and sometime keys, like these :
- La date de fermeture des inscriptions des auteurs ... <-"french translated"
- The open access date changed from 06-04-2008 to 01...<- "english translated"
- ##log.timeline.closeCommentsDateChanged## <- key

Furthermore, since the last record in this table, I migrated in 2.1 version.
I don't if it comes from the 2.0 version or not.

Moreover, on second thought, for me, there should be only keys to propose the good display to conference administrators who can use different languages.
Finaly, at this time, I would know how this Event subject was thought.

Thanks for this clarification.
Regards.
Last edited by crihou2 on Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
crihou2

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:07 pm

Hi crihou2,

I'm not entirely sure if I am understanding the situation: are there locale keys in fr_FR (or CA) that aren't currently translated? That may very well be the case: while we strive to keep our translations up to date, we do rely on volunteers for the most part to undertake translation work.

There is a translation plugin for OCS 2.1. You can turn it on in Conference Management -> System Plugins -> Translator Plugin; once it's turned on you can revisit the plugin page and click "Translate", and the plugin will allow you to check for missing keys for any locale that you have installed on your system. You will be able to edit and update your translation easily using this plugin, and diagnose problems. You can find further instructions on using the plugin here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/files/docs/translating/index.html

Please let me know if I am still misunderstanding, or if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby crihou2 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:16 pm

Hi James,

Thanks for help, with "Conference Management -> System Plugins -> Translator Plugin" I corrected some translation lacks like these :
Code: Select all
Missing Keys
    * The key "log.director.unpublish" is missing from "locale/fr_CA/locale.xml". The English version has been provided as a default.     

Extra Keys
    * The key "manager.setup.additionalContent.homepageImage.description" is no longer used and can be removed from "locale/fr_CA/locale.xml".
      Delete this key
    * The key "manager.tracks.submissionsToThisTrack" is no longer used and can be removed from "locale/fr_CA/locale.xml".
      Delete this key

About this, I had to change in writen mode the xml files. In the future can you indicate in the install guide (I haven't seen it) we have to run this command :
find "OCS-root-files" -name *.xml -exec chmod 666 {} \;

For the rest theses mini corrections weren't in relation with my initial problem, I repeat it : all lines exist in locale.xml file for "en_US and fr_FR" but the "Event Log" recorder is quite surprising : the field "message" from the "conference_events" table's content translated things in several languages and sometime keys.

I would like to know why isn't there only keys to bto translate them correctly at the time of their reading

Regards.
crihou2

Postby asmecher » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:20 am

Hi crihou2,

I've filed a Bugzilla entry for the log issue at http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3556.

The translator plugin does indeed need access to write to locale files -- but I wouldn't suggest using 666, as it's a potential security risk. I'll add permission checking to a future version of the translation tool so that the user will be warned if permissions are not set properly.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OCS Technical Support