OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Adding Scheduler to OCS 2.0

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Adding Scheduler to OCS 2.0

Postby tshore » Tue May 13, 2008 12:34 am

My conference organizers will soon be asking me about creating an online schedule for conference presentations and events. I believe that a scheduler is included in OCS 2.1. However, I have had to do so much customization, that I can't upgrade to 2.1 at this point. What do I need to do in order to add the scheduler to my current installations of OCS?
tshore

Re: Adding Scheduler to OCS 2.0

Postby asmecher » Tue May 13, 2008 9:50 am

Hi tshore,

I'd strongly suggest preventing the code from forking further -- there are tools to help reconcile your modifications against the stock version, e.g. the diff tool, which can compare a modified version against the stock distribution. Using this you can extract your changes and assess how to apply them to a newer release. We've had OJS users fork their own installations, and it's sometimes led to grief later down the line -- it's well worth spending the effort to reconcile your own changes against a fresh release, and since you're considering porting the scheduler, it's not necessarily a bigger job.

Let me know if I can guide further with this. If any of your changes might be useful for the larger community, you might also consider submitting them.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby tshore » Tue May 13, 2008 11:11 am

I'm sure that many of the modifications I've had to make have been wasted. This is due, in part, to putting version 1 functionality back into OCS 2. My two conferences are in June and July. I can't go messing with these websites trying to to upgrade right now. I will try this over the summer in preparation for their 2009 meetings - that is, if they are still my clients! They have had to do a LOT of waiting on me this year and they are not very happy about it. So, the help I will need from you now is some advice how to get the scheduler up and running on these two websites. Thank you.
tshore

Postby asmecher » Tue May 13, 2008 11:54 am

Hi tshore,

A good place to start would be pulling in the following directories and their contents from CVS:
  • classes/manager/form/scheduler
  • classes/scheduler
  • templates/manager/scheduler
Also bring in pages/manager/SchedulerHandler.inc.php. These contain most of the scheduler's code. There are also additional tables in the CVS version of dbscripts/xml/ocs_schema.xml:
  • buildings
  • building_settings
  • rooms
  • room_settings
  • special_events
  • special_event_settings
Note that this will not be trivial, however -- the metadata storage has been overhauled between OCS 2.0 and what will shortly become 2.1.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby tshore » Wed May 14, 2008 12:18 am

Yikes! It looks like my conferences might not be having an online schedule this year...
tshore

Return to OCS Technical Support