OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Correcting errors in abstract / final work acceptance

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Correcting errors in abstract / final work acceptance

Postby acardona » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:07 am

Dear John,

we are running OCS 2.0 in "abstract followed by presentation" mode. Some Track Directors erroneously accepted the final work, instead of only "inviting presentation" after reading the abstract, by pressing on the "Complete" button in the "Paper review" page, even if the final work was still not uploaded to the system.

Now, these authors are not able to upload their work, and also, we have another side effects like, for instance, they appear in the "Browse by author" and "Browse by title" sections. Is there any way to go back the action made by the "Complete" button?

Best regards,

Alberto
acardona

Re: Correcting errors in abstract / final work acceptance

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:06 am

Hi Alberto,

I've taken a look and verified this as a bug. See http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3448, and please feel free to add comments to that report.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby acardona » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:59 am

Hi James,

The bug report corresponds exactly to what has happened to us. I guess it is still present in version 2.1, ins't it ? I think a possible correction could be to block access to the "Complete" button if the author did not upload his paper.

Do you know if there is a by-pass by modifying the data base manually ? For instance, we were able to revert the situation of the record corresponding to the paper in the "papers" table, by modifying the "status" field in the paper and setting it to one. In this way, authors are now able to upload the final work.

However, when we list by clicking in "browse by authors" and/or "browse by title", these works are still listed. Is there any way to correct it? Can we simply erase the records in the "published _papers" table, or would it introduce another side effects?

By the way, I do not understand why the abstracts appear in the "browse by authors" and "browse by title" sections, since I did not authorize publishing in the "Conference Timeline" section. I did not click on the case corresponding to "accepted abstracts" date neither "accepted papers" date in the "Website Posting". Does the system look at the status of these cases to publish the abstracts/papers?

Thanks a lot for your help !

Alberto
acardona

Postby asmecher » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:38 pm

Hi Alberto,

Try recording a new "Accept" director decision in the Review page; OTOH this should undo the "Complete" action. Please confirm here and if it doesn't work I'll let you know how to accomplish this in the database.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby acardona » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm

Dear Alec,

the button for recording the director decision on the "abstract review" page is grayed, and I cannot record the decision again.

It seems that the system acts as if the paper will be presented in the congress without having a final written version. This behavior is logical, because several times authors just send an abstract and are not interested into submitting a written version of their paper for publication in the proceedings.

I think that what may induce the error to Track Directors, is that after "inviting presentation" after evaluation of the abstract, they are redirected to the "Paper review" page. If they don't look at the page carefully, they think the system is waiting for another action to confirm, and they press in the "Complete" button to tell the system they have finished. Probably it would be better to redirect them to the "Submissions in Review" list after "Inviting presentation" of the abstract, instead of redirecting to the "Paper review" page, since normally after acceptance of the abstract, there is nothing else to do with the paper until the author uploads the final written version (this is the case in the "abstract followed by presentation" mode, but probably I am missing something in the other cases).

Please, tell me if there is anyway to undo the action by modifying the database.

Best regards,

Alberto
acardona

Postby jmacgreg » Thu May 01, 2008 11:18 am

Hi Alberto,

You shouldn't have to modify the database: as a Director, go to the submissions Review page, and under Director Decision, select "Invite Presentation" and save. The submission will then be removed from the presentations queue, and will be able to be edited again. It will also be removed from the "Browse by" lists.

We'll be refining this feature down the road, but for now this workaround should work error-free.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby acardona » Thu May 01, 2008 12:25 pm

Hi James,

I regret I am not able to do that. The button corresponding to "Director decision" / "Record decision" in the "Abstract review" page is grayed and does not allow to introduce the "Invite presentation" action...

The problem is that the Track Director first pressed this button in the "Abstract review" and then pressed "Complete" in the "Paper review". I think that for this reason the system does not allow to "Invite presentation" again...

Regards,

Alberto
acardona

Postby jmacgreg » Thu May 01, 2008 1:10 pm

Hi Alberto --

My apologies, I misread your post and thought you were still talking about the "Complete" button being greyed out.

Instead of looking under the "Abstract Review" page, could you try taking a look at the "Paper Review" page, and under Director Decision, see if you can choose "Revisions Required" or "Accept Submission"? If so, does this remove the submission from the presentations queue etc.? You may have to upload a Review Version if there is not one already for this step to work. Please let me know if you make any headway.

Thanks,
James
jmacgreg

Postby acardona » Thu May 01, 2008 1:36 pm

Hi James,

The button for the "Director decision" in the "Paper Review" page is also grayed out, so I guess I do have to upload a Review version to be able to do this action. The authors did not send still their paper... BTW, when they will try to upload their paper, they will not be able to do that since it does not appear as an active submission anymore.

What do you suggest? Do I have to upload a blank file instead, to unlock the system? Will the authors be able to upload the correct version afterwards?

Thanks !!

Alberto
acardona

Postby jmacgreg » Thu May 01, 2008 1:39 pm

Hi Alberto,

Try uploading a dummy file, and then instead of selecting Accept Paper, try Revisions Requested. It should do the same thing -- bump the paper out of the Presentations queue -- but it should allow for authors to make changes.

Let me know how it goes,
James
jmacgreg

Postby acardona » Thu May 01, 2008 2:18 pm

Hi James,

I followed your suggestion and upload a dummy file. Now the paper appears as "In Review" and is not anymore in the "Presentations". The authors are in an "Awaiting upload" situation, so that they will be able to upload their version.

However, the "Browse by author" and "Browse by title" sections still list the abstract. I do not understand why this happens, since as I told you in a previous message I did not authorize publishing in the "Conference Timeline" section (I did not click on the case corresponding to "accepted abstracts" date neither "accepted papers" date in the "Website Posting").

Regards,

Alberto
acardona

Postby jmacgreg » Thu May 01, 2008 4:50 pm

Hi Alberto,

Strange -- I've retested with a number of different workflows, and I'm getting slightly different results: if I browse by author, all former presentations are listed when I click on an author's name; however, if I have employed the workflow we've detailed here, the former presentation does disappear from the Browse by Title list.

You are running 2.0.0-1, correct? Have you applied any patches?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby acardona » Thu May 01, 2008 5:50 pm

Hi James,

I am afraid it is version 2.0.0.0, without patches. System information gives:

Current version
2.0.0.0 (November 29, 2007 - 04:32 PM)

Do I have to upgrade version ?

I verified again. I have the presentation both in "browse by author" and in "browse by title".

Thanks for your precious time !!

Alberto
acardona

Postby jmacgreg » Thu May 01, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi Alberto,

Thanks for the follow-up. I wouldn't worry about updating just yet. I've asked Alec to take a look, and we should have something for you soon.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jmacgreg » Thu May 01, 2008 6:57 pm

Hi Alberto,

Try applying the following patch: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3397 (apply the 2.0 patch).

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Next

Return to OCS Technical Support