OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

xml to xls

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

xml to xls

Postby yqg » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:04 pm

Hello.

I have exported database data from my OCS conference and I'm trying to open the xml file in Excel. I wish to use the data in a mail merge.

Instead of First Name, Last Name, Address, etc. appearing in one row for each person, each column appears in a successive row. (i.e. First name appears in cell A1, Surname in B2, Address in C3, etc.)

Obviously, this isn't very useful for doing a mail merge in Word. Any suggestions?
yqg

Re: xml to xls

Postby mj » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:08 am

Hi Nicole,

How are you exporting your OCS data in XML? Are you using the import/export functionality within OCS, or are you doing it through another database tool (eg. phpMyAdmin)?

As a general rule, Excel doesn't import XML formats (aside from the misleadingly-named Office XML) -- likewise for Word. My suggestion would be to export directly to a CSV format if you're using another database tool (which Excel can read), otherwise you'll have to edit or copy-paste from the XML file directly into Excel or Word.

Hope this helps,
mj
Site Admin

Postby yqg » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:38 am

My apologies. I'd been struggling with this file for so long I guess I forget from where I exported it. It was from OJS, not OCS, if that makes a difference.

I've not had problems exporting from OCS in the past. Only, now with OJS.
yqg

Postby mj » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:20 pm

Hi Nicole,

What format have you been using when you export from OCS? If you can describe the process you've been using a bit more explicitly, I may be better able to help you do the same in OJS.

MJ
mj
Site Admin

Postby yqg » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:24 am

Hi MJ,
As I mentioned in my last post, the problem is actually OJS, not OCS. My apologies.
The problem is on this page:
Home > User > Journal Manager > Import/Export Data > Users XML Plugin
and I select Export All and save it as an xml file.
yqg

Postby mj » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:30 am

Hi Nicole,

Yes, I understand the problem you're having is with OJS. They do have different export options. What I'd like to be able to understand is the process you were using in the past with OCS that was successful, so we can try to replicate it in OJS. OCS doesn't export Excel XLS files either, so I'm curious to understand what you were doing in the past that is different from what you're attempting now.

MJ
mj
Site Admin

Postby yqg » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:54 am

In OCS I go to Export Database Data select export table in XML. Then I save it as an xml file.
In OJS I right click on Export All and save as an xml file.
yqg

Postby mj » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:32 am

Hi Nicole,

It seems that the difference you're encountering is that you're likely using an older version of OCS 1.x, whereas I suspect you're probably using a newer version of OJS 2.x. The old version of OCS did provide an option to export to XML and CSV -- the latter will load properly into Excel. However, the current OJS and OCS versions no longer include this feature. Once again, my suggestion would be to export to a CSV format using another database tool like phpMyAdmin, or copy-paste from the XML file directly into Excel or Word.

MJ
mj
Site Admin

Return to OCS Technical Support