OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Bad or malformed header in Fast CGI environment [RESOLVED]

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Bad or malformed header in Fast CGI environment [RESOLVED]

Postby mstreet » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:35 pm

Hi folks,

I have a conference that I am in the middle of setting up. I'm using OCS 2.0, and when I initially set it up in our Linux, Apache, Fast CGI environment, I had to disable the PATH_INFO variable in the config settings.

I have some users who have uploaded some submissions, but when they go to 'Edit Metadata', the server throws an Internal Server Error (500), with this in the logs:

Code: Select all
[Thu Mar 06 16:16:17 2008] [error] [client <removed>] malformed header from script. Bad header=\r\n : index.php, referer: http://<removed>/index.php?conference=carfms&schedConf=carfms08&page=presenter&op=submission&path[]=1

I suspect that this is related to the PATH problem, but that's only my guess. Can anyone help with this? If there's any more details I can provide, please let me know.

I have been able to get this to work on a 'normal' Apache set-up with mod_php. Unfortunately, we've put too much work into this conference site to switch environments now. I really need a way to get this working under Fast CGI.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Mike.
Last edited by mstreet on Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
mstreet

Re: HELP! Bad or malformed header in Fast CGI environment

Postby smiri » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:20 pm

Hi Mike,

Are you sure that's the only error message you're getting in your error logs? I have feeling that there's another message or two before this one. This message usually just means that something else went wrong before this.

Also do you know what type of submission files the users uploaded? And if it's happening for everyone or just a particular user?

Regards,
smiri

Postby mstreet » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm

Hi,

Thanks for replying, I appreciate it. I've gone over all the possible logs, in my hosting environment:

access.log
error.log
suexec.log

The only one that shows anything is the error.log with the same message I posted earlier. Although web applications are run as the user, I do have root access to the box, if you think there's someplace else I should look.

I've also confirmed that it happens regardless of which user attempts to edit the metadata of their submission.

This error is unfortunately a show-stopper for the adoption of the software for us, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
mstreet

Postby smiri » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:45 pm

Hi Mike,

Could you check and see what your php memory limit is set at? you could check this in your php.ini file. The memory limit needs to be at least 16MB for the latest OJS version to function correctly. (Make sure to restart your apache server when you make a php.ini change)

Regards,
smiri

Postby mstreet » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:42 am

Our memory limit is set to 24, so that's not the problem. We also do not have Zend optimizer installed. Thankfully, I was able to determine that upgrading Apache to 2.2 and Fast CGI fixed the problem. We were initially running apache 2.0.55.
mstreet

Return to OCS Technical Support