OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Enabling authors to view abstract reviews

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Enabling authors to view abstract reviews

Postby KirstyC » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:11 am

Hi there
I've been having a few difficulties with the review process and although I've solved a couple of things thanks to other posts in this board :P , I'm still stuck several hours later. I haven't done the setting up here so apologies for my ignorance.

Firstly, the prepared email sent from track director to author informing them of decision on paper contains the actual link to {submissionReviewUrl} and not the live value. If it worked, is this the right link to take authors to view reviews of their abstracts?

Secondly, some of our reviewers have uploaded a completed review form while others have filled in the review text box. Is there a way to make it easy for authors to see both reviews? I have used the Import Peer Review button on sending out the email notification, so that authors see any reviews pasted into the text box, but if there is an uploaded review as well, it means authors still have to log in to the site.

Thirdly, when I import peer reviews, Reviewer A's review always comes up twice.

When I logged in as a user to check that uploaded reviews could be seen, a review uploaded by Reviewer B came up from the Author's pov as from Reviewer A. Does this mean that the assigned reviewers are not fixed as A or B but it defaults to Reviewer A if there is only 1 uploaded review?

Finally, is there a simple way of resetting a user's password, or generating an email to reset password? Lots of our users lost or fogot their user details, plus some of our emails went out with incorrect links.

Sorry to bombard you with questions - hope you can help :)
KirstyC

Re: Enabling authors to view abstract reviews

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:59 pm

Hi KirstyC,

KirstyC wrote:Firstly, the prepared email sent from track director to author informing them of decision on paper contains the actual link to {submissionReviewUrl} and not the live value. If it worked, is this the right link to take authors to view reviews of their abstracts?

The {$words} type code you see in various templates adds variables to the various email templates, called from the page that's sending the email itself. So for example, {$submissionReviewUrl} would turn into the actual URL pointing to the review version of the submission. You should be careful in removing these, and also aware of the fact that adding these to any old template won't always work: it's dependant on whether the variable exists and is passed onto the email in that particular juncture of whatever process you're in. There's further discussion of this here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2056

Secondly, some of our reviewers have uploaded a completed review form while others have filled in the review text box. Is there a way to make it easy for authors to see both reviews? I have used the Import Peer Review button on sending out the email notification, so that authors see any reviews pasted into the text box, but if there is an uploaded review as well, it means authors still have to log in to the site.

If you've downloaded the review files, you can then use the add attachment function to add them. It's just above the Import Peer Reviews button, and will add any type of attachment and send it along with the email.

Thirdly, when I import peer reviews, Reviewer A's review always comes up twice.

This is a bug, and it's been reported in OJS:

http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2978

You should be able to back-port the patch to work with OCs; if you need help, let me know.

When I logged in as a user to check that uploaded reviews could be seen, a review uploaded by Reviewer B came up from the Author's pov as from Reviewer A. Does this mean that the assigned reviewers are not fixed as A or B but it defaults to Reviewer A if there is only 1 uploaded review?

That may also be a bug; I'll look into it and get back to you as soon as I can.

Finally, is there a simple way of resetting a user's password, or generating an email to reset password? Lots of our users lost or fogot their user details, plus some of our emails went out with incorrect links.

As Journal Manager, go to User Home --> Conference Manager --> All Users, and click the name of the user you want to edit. You'll be able to change their password there, and also require that they change it to something else when they next log in, but this doesn't send them an email so you'll have to do that. Alternatively, there is a link to reset the user's password if they can't remember it, from the login page.

Please let me know if you have any other questions,

James
jmacgreg

Postby KirstyC » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:48 am

Hi - thanks very much for your help

You should be able to back-port the patch to work with OCs; if you need help, let me know.

Yes please!

Kirsty
KirstyC

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:03 am

Hi Kirsty,

You can grab the patch for OCS here:

http://pkp.sfu.ca/cvs/cvsweb.cgi/ocs2/c ... 29;r2=1.30

If you're not sure on how to apply a patch, you can apply one manually. Lines with a '-' have to be found and removed; lines with a '+' have to be added.

If needed, you'll find further instructions on the forum if you search for 'patch', and you can find instructions on most servers by typing 'man patch'.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OCS Technical Support