OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Emergency! abstracts close too soon!

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Emergency! abstracts close too soon!

Postby elena » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:05 pm

Please if anyone has any sort of support or advice I would most sincerely appreciate it.

We set our abstract date one day too early (per the system closing at 00:00 on the day rather than 23:59) - all of our organisers are now in a total state of panic: there is no longer a facility to submit abstracts.

So I went and changed the "Submissions close" date in the "Conference Timeline" to way in the future... but now the Abstract Submission form is still gone!!

If I go to "http://.../index.php/../../presenter/submit" it just reverts me to the the presenter home page.

I have a number that is currently about 150 and steadly growing of angry academics who can't submit abstracts beating at my door at the moment and don't know what to do that's less than rebuilding it from the ground up - which is obviously a bad bad idea at the 11¾th hour like this.

- checked the dates in the db (they're good)
- deleted all the cache files

Does anyone know whether this is a bug in my version or this is actually the way that it is meant to function?

Help me OB1 you're my only hope.
elena

Re: Emergency! abstracts close too soon!

Postby asmecher » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:39 pm

Hi elena,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with this! The steps you've taken (double-checking the dates in the DB and flushing the cache data in cache/*.php) are the right ones to take. When you flushed the data cache, did you use the Site Administrator's function via the UI, or did you do it manually? If you used the UI, it may be that file permissions have changed and the UI is no longer able to flush the caches. To work around this, manually delete *all* PHP files in the cache directory.

If this isn't the problem, let me know and I'll get back to you with more suggestions ASAP.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby tshore » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:56 pm

Ummm, is there not a bug fix for this? This is obviously incorrect to have submissions close on 00:00 on the deadline date. People expect to be able to submit up until 23:59 on that day. I have just had this bite me for one conference and I've only got a few hours until the same thing happens with a 2nd conference.

I just went in and changed the date directly in the database. That is, submissionsCloseDate was set to 2008-3-31 00:00:00 and I changed it to 2008-3-31 23:59:59. With the 1st conference, the organizers realized there was a problem and changed submissionsCloseDate to a later date in order to keep abstract submissions open for the remainder of the day. Unfortunately, they didn't notice that they also had to change regPresenterCloseDate and this caused problems for quite a few people. It sounds like this might be what happened with Elena's site as well.

Of course, this still needs to be addressed so that, when the date is changed via the admin system, it will be set to close a the END of the day.
tshore

Postby tshore » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:32 pm

Has this been filed as a bug?
tshore

Postby asmecher » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:14 pm

Hi tshore,

This has been filed in Bugzilla at http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3369 and will be fixed in the soon-to-be-released OCS 2.1. FYI, we're currently testing and we have a test install, if you'd like to use it -- your feedback has been invaluable so far and it might be a good chance to get some last-minute input on the next release.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby asmecher » Tue May 06, 2008 10:30 am

Hi all,

FYI, this issue has been fixed; there are further details and a patch at the above Bugzilla URL. This fix will be released with OCS 2.1.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OCS Technical Support