OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Safe mode gid - upload problem [RESOLVED]

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Safe mode gid - upload problem [RESOLVED]

Postby vidar » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:41 am

First - I have searched both this forum and that of my ISP and read lots of threads, but I'm still not sure how to solve this.

The problem is trivial enough - authors can not upload files, but are presented with this error:

Warning: mkdir(): SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid/gid is 183568/183568 is not allowed to access /pathto_upload/conferences owned by uid/gid 398/398 in /pathto_ocs/classes/file/FileManager.inc.php on line 234

Warning: move_uploaded_file(): Unable to access /pathto_upload/conferences/1/schedConfs/1/papers/4/submission/original/4-15-1-SM.txt in /pathto_ocs/classes/file/FileManager.inc.php on line 95

My ISP has safe_mode_gid: on, but the folders created when uploading a file is owned by httpd:httpd, and thereby not possible to chmod with my username.

Any ideas to what I could do?
vidar

Re: Safe mode gid - upload problem

Postby smiri » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:15 pm

Hi vidar,

From the error message you're getting it's pretty obvious that it's a permissions problem. The way we have it setup on our server is the "files" folder is in the user's home and the "files" directory looks like this:

Code: Select all
drwxr-xr-x  3  abcd  abcd  4096 Oct 31 09:52 conferences
drwxr-xr-x  2  abcd  abcd  4096 Oct 29 09:50 site
drwxr-xr-x  2  abcd  abcd  4096 Dec 11 04:25 temp

We also have the apache running as "abcd" user. So the folders created in the /home/abcd/files/ are all created by the "abcd" user. Since it sounds like you don't have root access to the server, you would have to ask your ISP to make sure the files in your OCS directory are running as your user and not httpd.

Regards,
smiri

Re: Safe mode gid - upload problem

Postby vidar » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:18 am

Thank you for your reply. I am trying to make my ISP change ownership of the fils and folders.
vidar

Return to OCS Technical Support