OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Fix for lilac.css and Probably steel.css & vanilla.css

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Fix for lilac.css and Probably steel.css & vanilla.css

Postby tshore » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:42 am

In IE 6 (probably 7 too, but I haven't checked), the header div is centered in the browser window, but the body div is left justified. Looks fine in a small browser window, but not so good in a wider window. A very simple fix. Replace:
Code: Select all
#container {
   line-height: 125%;
   text-align: left;
}

with:
#container {
   line-height: 125%;
   text-align: center;
}

See http://www.imrf.info/2008/ for a fixed example. Note that this is a modified version of lilac.css.

I wasn't sure where to post this as this probably applies to OJS as well.
tshore

Re: Fix for lilac.css and Probably steel.css & vanilla.css

Postby tshore » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:14 am

I found another problem with this theme. Actually, it's an IE6 problem and it might affect other themes as well. What I noticed was that the main div (the box that contains the website content) was not as wide in IE6 as it was in all other browsers tested (by about42 pixels). A little research revealed that, when IE6 is in "quirks mode", it does not properly compute the width of a div (it's supposed to add the declared width plus borders and padding, etc.). What was triggering quirks mode in IE6 you might be asking? I found this on Wikipedia:
Quirks mode in IE 6 will also be triggered if anything but whitespace precedes the DOCTYPE. For example, if a hypertext document contains a comment or any tag before the DOCTYPE, quirks mode will be triggered in IE 6

The problem was that this line:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
preceeded the doctype definition in templates/common/header.tpl. So, I just moved the XML prolog to the next line and now the main div is the correct width in IE6.
tshore

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:57 pm

Hi tshore,

Thanks for these. I'll take a look and see if the css behaviour is happening in OJS as well.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby tshore » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:59 am

FYI: I downloaded the latest CVS last week and this is still not fixed in templates/common/header.tpl.
tshore

Postby jmacgreg » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:56 pm

Hi Trudy,

These fixes (as well as a handful of other user-reported css fixes) have been on my to-do list for a while now: they'll be reported and added in before the next versions of OxS roll out; hopefully early this week, actually. Again, thanks for pointing them out.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:31 pm

Hi Trudy,

I've tested your suggestion re: changing "text-align: left" to "text-align: right", and that works great. I'm curious about the XML prolog issue though: I'm not able to replicate the width issue. Have you made any other changes to the css file that might be resulting in this error?

Testing both CVS and stock 2.2, between IE6 on XP and Firefox on the same box and another.

Thanks,
James
jmacgreg

Postby tshore » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:07 pm

Can I have URLs for the test sites you looked at? I would like to look at them on my computer to see if the width issue is present?
tshore

Postby billyoglesby » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:29 pm

Has anyone been able to fix the steel.css theme? When I use it, it shrinks the right side bar and moves to the left, and the main page content is pushed underneath. I've tried adjusting some of the things noted on this thread but with no results.

Thanks!
billyoglesby

Postby mcrider » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:27 pm

Billy,

This bugzilla entry tracked this problem: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3315. I think this is fixed in the latest release version of OCS, but I know for sure its fixed in the CVS if you want to upgrade.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Return to OCS Technical Support