OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Installation issues

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Installation issues

Postby matsys » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:46 am

I'm a beginner with this so please be patient. Thanks.

I just uploaded the OCS files to my server. I changed the permissions for the indicated files and then created the Files directory outside of the web-accessible area. However, on the next step:

4. Open a web browser to <http://yourdomain.com/path/to/ocs/> and follow
the on-screen installation instructions.

I get a 404 error and the url changes from:
mydomain.org/
to
mydomain.org/gs-bin/index.php/index/index/install

I found on the forum that others had this problem too and the suggested solution was to change the "disable_path_info" in the config file to "On". Unfortunately, this did not solve my problem and now I get another 404 and the url changes to:

mydomain.org/gs-bin/index.php?conference=index&schedConf=index&page=install

If you have any ideas, please help. Thanks,

Andrew
matsys

Re: Installation issues

Postby asmecher » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:40 am

Hi Andrew,

Are you using a shared host, or do you manage your own server? It looks like you've got an unusual PHP/CGI configuration that's causing the system to detect the wrong installation path. You might be able to work around it by configuring the base_url[index] parameter in config.inc.php.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby matsys » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:16 pm

OK, I'm not really sure what to change it to. I looked up my path info on my server and here are the details:

System path: /home/30960/domains/mydomain.org
Website path: /home/30960/domains/mydomain.org/html
Cgi-bin path: /home/30960/domains/mydomain.org/cgi-bin

So what would I put in the base_url[index] section of the config file? The OCS install is in the html directory.

I am using mediatemple's new gridserver so I think this makes things more complicated. Thanks for the help.
matsys

Postby matsys » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:02 pm

I think I managed to fix the problem. my server php was set by default to php4. When I changed it to php5 the install worked. I figured this out from the FAQ section:

On PHP 4 it may be necessary to add "cgi.fix_pathinfo = 1" to the server's
php.ini to avoid fatal "No input file specified" errors. This parameter is
enabled by default on PHP 5.

I guess on mediatemple's gridserver all php is run as CGI.
matsys

Return to OCS Technical Support