OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Hiring someone to support my OCS installation

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Hiring someone to support my OCS installation

Postby jwgill » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:08 pm

After spending serveral hours this weekend copying data from OCS to Excel in orderto do custom mailings and facing the same in the future, I know I need to engage the services of someone who can help me. My old software allowed me to download data from the DB and then I could use Word to generate custom mail, e.g. invoices and receipts.

My old IT guys on that old system could pretty much create any reports I needed and then allow me "Point and click" to generate the report reflecting realtime data.

Alas that system has gone the way of the Dodo bird.

I am running both OJS and OCs at sfu.

Any advice is helpful.

John Gil
jwgill

Re: Hiring someone to support my OCS installation

Postby asmecher » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:28 am

Hi John,

What kinds of mailings are you doing?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby jwgill » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:54 pm

Invoices and (in future) payment receipts.

What I 'd really like to be able to get right now is an export of Submissions to include the authors, their affiiliation, registration type, role(s) and payment status.
jwgill

Postby asmecher » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:33 pm

Hi John,

The best thing for specific kinds of extracts is to go in via the database; we've got plans to expand reporting to include plugins, but for the moment, direct access is best.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby jwgill » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:57 am

Right to the point, Alec.

That's why I am trying to find someone who can talk to me about what I need, write the query, run it , and send me the results.

I am willing to pay, but have no idea how to find anyone who can do that.

John
jwgill

Postby asmecher » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:05 pm

Hi John,

We do have an employment opportunities section on this forum, and SFU also offers custom consulting that would include this type of reporting. Someone would need good MySQL skills and modest Linux/UNIX familiarity to get in and extract the data; a non-OJS person would probably need some PHP skills to be able to read the OJS code and determine how it works with the database.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OCS Technical Support