OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Reviewer comments not visible.

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Reviewer comments not visible.

Postby dinesh » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:04 am

Hi

In our case, the authors are not able to see the comments from the reviewer intended for the authors, once the papers are accepted (and posted). How this can be done?

thanks and regards

dinesh
dinesh

Re: Reviewer comments not visible.

Postby asmecher » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:51 am

Hi Dinesh,

If reviewers are using the text field to enter reviews, the Editor has the opportunity to make them available using the Notify Author tool at the bottom of the review page. When composing the message to Authors to notify them of the editorial decision, the reviews may be imported and groomed to ensure that they are appropriate.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby vidar » Thu May 08, 2008 5:06 am

I have the same problem - authors are not able to see the reviewer comments on the abstract. When I try to "Import Peer Reviews" on the Abstract Review page nothing happens - the page just reloads without including the comments from the review form.

I'm using OCS 2.0.
vidar

Postby vidar » Thu May 08, 2008 5:53 am

Some additional info:

After some more testing, I find that:
- if I choose to Notify Author before I record decision as director, I can Import Peer Reviews into the body of the mail (being blank when the page loads the first time). However, what is imported is:
------------------------------------------------------
Reviewer A:

Reviewer B:
[text]

That is, reviewer A comments is not imported, but reviewer B's is.

- If the decision is recorded, the body of the mail (which already has some text) does not change when clicking Import Peer Reviews.

I have applied the patch (http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2978) eliminating the double posting of Reviewer A. Should I also apply this patch (http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3276) making uploaded files visible for the author? The review comments are all written/pasted in the review form, so I can't see that it is necessary.
vidar

Postby jmacgreg » Thu May 08, 2008 10:13 pm

Hi Vidar,

I would recommend applying the second patch in any case. However, I can't seem to replicate the empty Reviewer A situation you seem to be having. Whether I make a decision or not, I don't seem to be having any trouble importing reviews. Can you give me a bit more information on your setup, especially on how your submission and review processes have been set up by the Conference Manager?

Thanks,
James
jmacgreg

Postby vidar » Fri May 09, 2008 2:06 pm

Certainly. I haven't had the opportunity to apply the patch yet, but since I also act as Conference Manager the settings are easily reproduced:
Submission is Abstract followed by presentation
Only individual presentations are allowed, without supplementary materials.
The only option selected for reviewing is Reviewers access to submission file after agreeing to review it.

There is only one track - and it is peer-reviewed.

Any other settings I should mention?
vidar

Postby jmacgreg » Fri May 09, 2008 2:12 pm

One more thing -- is this happening with abstract reviews, or paper, or both?

Checking out as we speak -- thanks for the rest of the info.

James
jmacgreg

Postby jmacgreg » Fri May 09, 2008 3:17 pm

Hi Vidar,

I've managed to confirm that when a director records an "Invite Presentation" decision and *then* uses the author notification email, clicking the "Import Reviews" button produces an empty result. I've submitted this as a bug, which you can track here:

http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3482

Still no dice on the empty Reviewer A import, though. Are you able to reproduce this reliably?

Thanks,
James
jmacgreg

Postby vidar » Fri May 09, 2008 11:35 pm

Reproduce it yes, reliably no.
Or, it depends on what you mean by reliably. It is the same submissions that don't import Reviewer A each time I try, but I can't find any pattern on why it fails to do so.

I tried with some of the submissions being reviewed by both reviewers:

I Both A and B, (Revisions required + accept submission)
II Only B, (Accept + accept)
III Both A and B, (Submit elsewhere + Revisions required)
IV Only B, (Submit elsewhere + submit elsewhere)
V Both A and B, (Accept + accept)
VI Both A and B, (Accept + accept)

UPDATE:
I discovered that the two missing comments are both from the same reviewer. He has also reviewed two other submissions where he so far is the only one finished, and these comments does not show either when I try to import them into the body of the email. However, I can see his comments when I open the review itself, and it looks normal. I can't find anything special with his profile either.

So, I'm still quite puzzled.
vidar

Postby vidar » Sat May 10, 2008 4:24 am

By the way, my question is also the same as the original author of this thread (I think):

When logged in, can the author see the reviewers comment to the abstract?
As far as I can see, it is not possible. I have a test paper in the same conference as above where the director has accepted the abstract, and the status is "awaiting upload". There is no way to access the abstract or the comments. When a file has been uploaded the overview page is available again, (/presenter/submissionReview/) but no access to comments. I think this would be useful for authors, because emails are not always accessible or archived.
vidar

Postby vidar » Thu May 22, 2008 12:06 am

vidar wrote:UPDATE:
I discovered that the two missing comments are both from the same reviewer. He has also reviewed two other submissions where he so far is the only one finished, and these comments does not show either when I try to import them into the body of the email. However, I can see his comments when I open the review itself, and it looks normal. I can't find anything special with his profile either.

I found it, and it was quite obvious: The reviewer had written his comments to the director only, so the system behaviour is correct. Sorry for the false report (and thanks for the patch).
vidar

Postby jmacgreg » Thu May 22, 2008 12:14 am

Hi Vidar,

Apologies for not getting back to you earlier on this, and thanks for getting back to us on the solution.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OCS Technical Support