OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Cannot assign/edit/change submitted proposal

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Cannot assign/edit/change submitted proposal

Postby charlener » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:34 am

Admittedly, I have been editing files to add additional fields to the proposal/abstract submission, plus have added an additional presentation format, but this seems totally unrelated. When I try to do anything related to changing a submitted proposal (editing metadata, assigning a reviewer, submitting a director decision on the proposal, etc.), I get the following errors:

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/XXXX/public_html/ocs/classes/schedConf/SchedConfSettingsDAO.inc.php on line 58

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/XXXX/public_html/ocs/classes/schedConf/SchedConfSettingsDAO.inc.php:58) in /home/XXXX/public_html/ocs/classes/core/Request.inc.php on line 40

...and things don't work right (data not saved). Any ideas, other than reverting all my code?

UPDATE: I have installed a fresh copy of OCS with a new db, loaded data into it, and still get the above errors. It seems to happen with various login/role combinations as well as different abstracts. The weird thing is that it seemed to save the metadata once properly, but hasn't since. So maybe it isn't my mods...
charlener

Re: Cannot assign/edit/change submitted proposal

Postby asmecher » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:54 am

Hi charlener,

The error message is harmless (and has been corrected in CVS), but should be sent to a log file rather than displayed to the browser or it may interfere with browser redirects. See the display_errors directive in your php.ini.

Could you describe the process that you're using that's not saving metadata as you expect?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby charlener » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:20 pm

Hi Alec,

Thanks for the prompt followup.

Concerning metadata saving: I must have been careless in the last test - sorry. It does seem to save the data, albeit at an abrupt halt with that error message, which occurs with most actions, it seems.

I'm on a hosted provider, so I don't have easy access to changing php.ini file settings...is there a way for me to update only the particular files affected to prevent the error? I suspect that while I am content with hitting the action buttons then going back or refreshing, many of the reviewer types will become horribly confused...

--Charlene
charlener

Postby asmecher » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:04 pm

Hi Charlene,

Try adding the following to OCS's index.php near the top (but outside of any comment blocks):
Code: Select all
ini_set('display_errors', 0);
If your host allows it, this will suppress PHP errors from being displayed to the browser.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby charlener » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:28 am

It worked just fine - awesome. Thanks for the code :D
charlener

Return to OCS Technical Support