OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

From Laptop to move on ISP Server

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

From Laptop to move on ISP Server

Postby rke4me » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:34 pm

I installed the OCS 2.0.0-1 on my laptop (as localhost ). Now I want to move this on my ISP (remote) Linux server. PHPMyadmin and Mysql are showing in Cpanel. Also I transfer the all php directory through FTP.

Now, please guide me step-wise for the next. I am a layman who know only html.
rke4me

Re: From Laptop to move on ISP Server

Postby asmecher » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:39 am

Hi rke4me,

There are a few things that will need to be transferred:
  • The MySQL dump
  • The OCS installation
  • The files directory
To transfer the MySQL dump, use the "mysqldump" tool on the machine you're moving from:
Code: Select all
mysqldump -u [mysql_username_here] -p [mysql_database_name_here] > dump-file.sql
This will create a file called dump-file.sql that you should be able to import into phpMyAdmin. Then verify that the database connection parameters are correct in config.inc.php.

As for the OCS install and files path, you should be able to FTP those directly over onto the server; just make sure that the new files path is correctly configured in your config.inc.php file. Make sure that the files path isn't web-accessible, or else OJS's security measures will be easily circumvented.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby rke4me » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:55 am

Thanks Alec

I am using XAMPP to make Laptop as localhost.

1. How can I "mysqldump" ?

2. What is the meaning of "'Make sure that the files path isn't web-accessible, or else OJS's security measures will be easily circumvented"

Is it mean that file should not be in "Public_html" (or www ) directory?

My File Manager is showing the following directory:
.cpaddons
.cpanel
.cpanel-datastore
.gnupg
.htpasswds
.trash
access-logs
etc
logs
mail
public_ftp
public_html
tmp

------------------
rke4me

Postby rke4me » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:01 am

I uploaded the OCS (all files) in the directory "

/ public_html / ocs / ocs-2.0.0-1/

As given below:
------------------
/ public_html / ocs / ocs-2.0.0-1 / (Current Folder)
Create New Folder
Upload file(s)
Up one level
cache 755
classes 755
dbscripts 755
docs 755
help 755
includes 755
js 755
lib 755
locale 755
pages 755
plugins 755
public 755
registry 755
rt 755
styles 755
templates 755
tools 755
Create New File
config.TEMPLATE.inc.php 7 k 0644
config.inc.php 7 k 0644
index.php 1 k 0644
rke4me

Postby asmecher » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:55 am

Hi rke4me,

The mysqldump tool should have shipped with XAMPP; you'll need to run it via the command line as described above.

If you place the OCS files directory in a web-accessible directory (i.e. a subdirectory of public_html), people may be able to guess the URL to it and access it directly via the web server, thus bypassing OJS's security checks.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby rke4me » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:31 am

Dear Alec

I express my special appreciation for your nice cooperation and great patience.

Certainly reply will help to those who are little familiar with hosting for academic purpose. And academician from social and behavioural sciences.

I have one more question: if All the files recommended in non- web-accessible directory. Then how canwe display the desired file on web?
rke4me

Postby asmecher » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:57 am

Hi rke4me,

OCS manages the files in that path directly and can read them from their location and feed them to the user via PHP. Having them available directly via the web circumvents that code and all the relevant access restrictions.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OCS Technical Support