OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Using OCS for managing workshop files

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Using OCS for managing workshop files

Postby spatialguru » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:06 pm

I'd like to use OCS for allowing our workshop teachers to upload their teaching/data files into a particular track. Conference managers will then end up installing these files on the workshop computers.

I'm just trying to understand the best workflow for this via OCS, if appropriate. Anyone else who doing something similar?

I saw the File Browser and thought it would be an easy way to let presenters put their files up - but it appears that author/presenters don't have access to that tool. So I went the route of doing a paper proposal with a supplementary file upload. But I think this is sub-optimal, though I like all the meta data capture and think it's really close to what I need.

Any suggestions?
spatialguru

Re: Using OCS for managing workshop files

Postby spatialguru » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:36 pm

So I went the route of doing a paper proposal with a supplementary file upload. But I think this is sub-optimal, though I like all the meta data capture and think it's really close to what I need.

By sub-optimal I mean that I can't move the files around or give more logical names - considering that I want to copy them all out for loading onto workshop computers of course.
spatialguru

Postby asmecher » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:05 am

Hi spatialguru,

The files browser isn't a good way to do this, as it's only intended for file management and doesn't affect the database which is where the metadata etc. is stored. If you're looking for a quick way to get papers into the system without having to work through the workflow etc., register your account as both an Editor and an Author (using the Conference Manager's Roles interface) and when you finish the submission of a paper you'll be given a link to click to jump past the workflow.

The original submission filenames are kept in the database, so if you'd like to use those in the user interface, it's a question of changing a function to get the original filename instead of the automatically-assigned one. Where would you like to use the original filename?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby spatialguru » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:47 pm

asmecher wrote:register your account as both an Editor and an Author (using the Conference Manager's Roles interface) and when you finish the submission of a paper you'll be given a link to click to jump past the workflow.

Great suggestion - I think I've got it figured out by setting as a Reviewer (not editor in OCS) and Author, right? Or should I use a Director + Author role? I'm not sure I've got this all figure out, by still picking away at it.

The original submission filenames are kept in the database, so if you'd like to use those in the user interface, it's a question of changing a function to get the original filename instead of the automatically-assigned one. Where would you like to use the original filename?

I think I've got this working better now after editing PaperFileManager.inc.php's generateFilename() function.
Code: Select all
$newFileName = $paperFile->getPaperId().'-'.$paperFile->getFileId().'-v'.$paperFile->getRevision().'-'.$originalName;

Does that make sense? Seems to work well enough. I'd like to use the original filename as at least part of the final one saved in the system because we will have predetermined workshop id numbers that are part of the filenames being submitted.
spatialguru

Postby asmecher » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:12 pm

Sorry, my typo -- the above "Editor and Author" should read "Director and Author". With those two roles, the link will appear at the end of the submission process.

Off the top of my head, your filename modification should work.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby spatialguru » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:55 pm

Quick question, is $originalName always safe to re-use or could it have "bad" characters. Is it pre-processed at all before being saved? I can't seem to find any, so I assume I'd need to process it myself before using it, if I wanted consistency (e.g. no spaces, lower case, etc.).

Tyler
spatialguru

Return to OCS Technical Support