OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Captcha

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Captcha

Postby dinesh » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:06 am

Hello,

I see some code in login/registration sections which tells me about captchas. But it is nowhere seen in the configuration settings. Is it working? How can i enable it?

thanks and regards

Dinesh
dinesh

Postby asmecher » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:45 am

Hi Dinesh,

Try the patch at http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2937. You'll need to add a new section to your config.inc.php file:
Code: Select all
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; Captcha Settings ;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

[captcha]

; Whether or not to enable Captcha features
captcha = off

; Whether or not to use Captcha on user registration
captcha_on_register = on

; Whether or not to use Captcha on user comments
captcha_on_comments = on

; Font location for font to use in Captcha images
font_location = /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSerif.ttf
Please confirm here whether this works for you. You'll need libgd with TTF support installed in your PHP configuration.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby dinesh » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:18 am

hi Alec,

that worked!!! Thanks a lot. By the way, I had to uncomment the line:

Code: Select all
extension=gd.so
in /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini. Again thanks for the hint.

regards

Dinesh
dinesh

Re: Captcha

Postby SamF » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:07 pm

asmecher wrote:You'll need libgd with TTF support installed in your PHP configuration.

Hi, I'm also trying to get captchas working. What is libgd and how to I get it? I assume that will then put the file "FreeSerif.ttf" somewhere?

Thanks!
Sam
SamF

Postby smiri » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:05 pm

Hi Sam,

libgd is an additional library you need to install for php on your server.

here's their site: http://www.libgd.org/Main_Page

Most linux OSs have an RPM package you can use to install this, but that would depend on what version of Linux (if any) you're using.

Regards,
smiri

Postby SamF » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:18 pm

smiri wrote:Hi Sam,

libgd is an additional library you need to install for php on your server.

here's their site: http://www.libgd.org/Main_Page

Most linux OSs have an RPM package you can use to install this, but that would depend on what version of Linux (if any) you're using.

Regards,

Hmmm... That looks like one of those things that those of us who don't have ssh access to our servers (using GoDaddy, etc.) will have to live without... (It looks from this tutorial that even if I had ssh it would be pretty hard to install...).

GeekLog, my CMS system, has a native implementation of CAPTCHA without needing to install other libraries. I wonder how they're doing that?
SamF

Postby smiri » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:18 am

Hi Sam,

yes for the current captcha in OJS, you do need ssh access to the server to install libgd libraries. However, if you ask GoDaddy's support, they might add it for you or have a workaround for it. There are different ways to implement captcha and one of the very common ways is using libgd libraries. So I'm sure you're not the only one with this problem and godaddy probably has a fix for it.

Regards,
smiri

Return to OCS Technical Support