OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Abstracts still accepted after abstract deadline closed

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Abstracts still accepted after abstract deadline closed

Postby MMSequeira » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:02 am

We have a problem with abstract submissions: they are being accepted though the abstract deadline was closed last friday (16 March). We're using a "Submit abstract > Review > Post abstract > Submit paper > Post paper" sequence. The paper deadline is 14 May.

For the time being I patched line 320 of submit.php. What should I do?

(Your system was, I dare say, too much of a success. :-) The conference organizers are swimming in a see of abstracts.)
MMSequeira

Postby asmecher » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:22 am

Hi MMSequeira,

There should be a checkbox on Setup page 2 labeled "Close off the submission process once the deadline for abstracts has passed." Is it checked?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby MMSequeira » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:30 pm

asmecher wrote:There should be a checkbox on Setup page 2 labeled "Close off the submission process once the deadline for abstracts has passed." Is it checked?

Oh, well... You are absolutely right: we missed that checkbox somehow. Thanks for your time.
MMSequeira

Postby simonk » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:45 pm

Setup page 2, as in the "Policies" page? I'm logged in as Journal Manager but don't see the option you mention in version 2.1.0.1.

Any help would be much appreciated... thanks very much
simonk

Postby asmecher » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:04 am

Hi simonk,

This forum is for Open Conference Systems (OCS), not Open Journal Systems (OJS). If you'd like to prevent users from submitting, the best way to do this is to edit each Section in the Journal Manager's "Journal Sections" interface and mark each section as only accepting submissions from Editors.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Re: Abstracts still accepted after abstract deadline closed

Postby mbria » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:19 pm

Hi Alec,

Tomorrow night is the submission deadline of my first OCS conference :-)... but I'm afraid it could be a kaos if I don't enable this option you talk about in this post.

The point is that I'm unable to find it on my OCS version 2.0.0.0

The url it's supposed to be something like http://www.mysite.org/ocs/index.php/myConference/index/manager/setup/2 isn't it?

But I can find this check box there. It's a 2.1 feature?

Thanks a lot for your help,

m.
mbria

Postby asmecher » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:31 pm

Hi mbria,

For OCS 2.x (including both 2.0 and 2.1), you can make sure that submissions are closed by checking the dates on the Conference Timeline page.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby mbria » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:59 pm

Sorry Alec... I didn't explain myself.

I want to ALLOW submissions AFTER the deathline.
Although it's possible that late submissions won't be accepted... finally will be director's decision.

Is it possible with 2.0?

Best regards,

m.
mbria

Postby asmecher » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:43 pm

Hi mbria,

I'm still not understanding entirely -- can you not simply extend the deadline? If a presenter has begun the submission process and the deadline closes before they finish, they will still be OK to complete the process.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby mbria » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:59 pm

Sorry Alec. It's my fault.

Let me try again: We have a deadline and papers NEED to be submitted before it, but I thought that would be nice to allow late submissions, just in case the platform falls... or the author missed the deadline.
After reading this post I thought "late submissions" functionality means the paper will be accepted in OCS but highlighted somehow to let the Section Directors decide in each specific situation.

Too much imagination?

We don't want to move the deadline, because it means Section Directors will need to take in consideration the submission date for each article.

Thanks for your help,

m.
mbria

Postby asmecher » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:03 pm

Hi mbria,

In this case you'd have to modify the submissionsOpen function in classes/schedConf/SchedConfAction.inc.php (the rules governing the open / close timing are written there). The conference submission deadline is typically pretty strict, and I'm not certain from your post what kind of alternate condition you might use...

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OCS Technical Support