OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Installation issue with 1.1.5

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Installation issue with 1.1.5

Postby Dallas » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:57 am

I have come across an odd installation issue with OCS 1.1.5. For background this is running on RHEL 2.1 with php 4.1.2, mysql 4.1.7 and apache 1.3.27. I have put in place the OCS tarball, created the database and created all the tables using the mysql-tables.sql.

When stepping through install.php on any page after the first, if I click on the contine button, it steps along but will only print the page header. I get no error, no confirmation of success, just a partial page. Now, if I click "skip this step" and click on continue, I get the next section with the proper form and data inserted. So, I could walk my way through skipping all of the steps, but what use is that.

I get no reported errors either in the apache error log or to the web browser. So sadly it is being very tough to debug. Has this been seen before? If not, are there any suggestions on steps to get debug output during the process.

Thanks for any help.

Dallas
Dallas

Postby kevin » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:55 pm

Do you have the MySQL extension/module for PHP installed and enabled? You may want to try editing the OCS file "include/db/db.mysql.inc.php" and removing the error-suppression "@" symbol (e.g., change "@mysql_pconnect(...)" to "mysql_pconnect(...)"), and see if you get any sort of error message.
kevin

Postby Dallas » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:52 am

Thanks, that pointed me at the issue. Here is the error it threw.

Warning: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client in /var/www/html/ocs/include/db/db.mysql.inc.php on line 41

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client in /var/www/html/ocs/include/db/db.mysql.inc.php on line 41

Looks like I'm being bitten by the the authentication changes in 4.1. The options are either downgrade mysql (which will probably be easiest for me at this point) or use the MySQLi extension which supports the added functionality.

Dallas
Dallas

Postby jacktanner » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:37 pm

This is a belated response, but perhaps somebody searching for this in the future will benefit: You can manually reset the passwords within MySQL 4.1. As you do so, you can force the password format to be the same as in earlier MySQL versions. Your older client will then be able to authenticate.

There are several ways to force the password format; one is
Code: Select all
mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'some_user'@'some_host' = OLD_PASSWORD('mypass');

Google for "mysql old password" for others.
jacktanner

Return to OCS Technical Support