OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Changing registration

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Changing registration

Postby Mquinn » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:58 am

Hey. Using the OCS system, latest version. Everything works well. However, if a registrant wants to change a paid registration he/ or she is presented with a page that says "you have already registered" and if they want to change, contact the conference organizer. I appreciate the built in fail safe to prevent people from paying twice, however, we want to be able for registrants to add a choice, for an additional fee. In this case attend a dinner.

What can we do to address this ? How do we allow people to change existing registrations ?
Mquinn

Re: Changing registration

Postby asmecher » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:26 am

Hi Mquinn,

Currently that would require a code modification -- our thinking was that allowing users to modify existing registrations would likely lead to overlooked changes, e.g. if someone added a dinner option after an attendee list had been generated. If you have someone handy to work with PHP I can direct them to the specific parts of the code that are responsible.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Mquinn » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:31 pm

Hi. I am happy to work with the PHP code.
Mquinn

Postby asmecher » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:47 pm

Hi Mquinn,

The user self-registration form is implemented in classes/registration/form/UserRegistrationForm.inc.php. That form class is instantiated and used in pages/schedConf/SchedConfHandler.inc.php (in the "registration" and "register" functions).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Mquinn » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:33 pm

I enjoyed reading the code; efficient but lots of moving parts. Just so I can understand your post, if I was able to reset the registration to allow someone to go back and add an option i would loose some part of the registration? Is this what you meant by overlooking?

Currently, I have 5 reservation choices that only allows one to be select. I then present 4 options in which all/some/none can be selected. We then sends this data - combining process 1 and 2 to paypal. (registration (5 choices) > option (4 choices) > paypal)

What I am attempting to do is allow registrants to return to the web site and let them modify their reservation by letting them choose one/some/all of the 4 options, but not change their initial choice (out of five).

The program only lets people have one chance to register. I see in the code lines 267-277 (schedconfhandler_inc.php) that it is possible to have the user change type or pay again (276-278), but this seems to be an "either or condition" rather than an ability to add feature.

In userregistrationform.inc.php, i see code 278-291 has a $cost+ (option) (line 279) and then the possibility of a queued delay (line 285).

I don't understand how the delay works relative to the $paymentManager which emerges in line 247 during the import "payment.ocs.OCSPaymentManager' call.
Mquinn

Postby asmecher » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:52 am

Hi Mquinn,

The "queued payment" code reflects the online payment process; when the user indicates that they want to pay, the payment is recorded in OCS, but it isn't considered fulfilled until the payment has been processed -- typically by a third-party payment processing system such as Paypal. Payments that have been entered but not fulfilled are called "queued payments", and fulfilled payments are called "completed payments".

By overlooking, I meant scenarios like this:
  • Registrant registers for conference, opting out of a banquet.
  • Conference manager exports registrant list in order to prepare for the event. This includes banquet attendees.
  • Registrant returns to add a banquet option to their registration.
  • No notification of the change is sent to the Conference Manager, and thus they aren't aware of the additional seat.
There are a number of options that might work for dealing with this, ranging from introducing an email notification to the Manager for a changed registration (this may be too onerous for them to handle this way), or setting additional dates that act as deadlines for registration changes. Each would require code modifications to accomplish.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Mquinn » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:24 pm

Thanks Alex.

That makes sense. So someone who has already registered for the conference is presented with a page stating that "you have already registered...contact the conference organizers"

From where does this page arrive? I am having difficulty locating it in the site. It appears to be assembled with various scripts. If I wanted to edit the "please contact the" part of the message, which file do I need to access?
Mquinn

Postby asmecher » Thu May 01, 2014 9:03 am

(This conversation continues in a new thread.)
asmecher

Return to OCS Technical Support