OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

PHP Mailer or Patch SMTP Gmail

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

PHP Mailer or Patch SMTP Gmail

Postby apeterka » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:19 am

Mail wasn't sending with the usual php Mail() on our host (dreamhost). Not a huge surprise since this is a problem for our Wordpress install as well. So, I switched the SMTP on and I am successfully receiving emails from gmail, but this results (as the wiki says it would) in all emails coming from my gmail account. I noticed on the wiki that a patch is available for OJS 2.4 and 2.3. Would one of these work for OCS 2.5.3 to help make the email come from the actual sender? And if so, how do I go about installing a patch? Sorry, that's probably a really basic question. Is it just a matter of replacing existing files with those that have changed?

Others on Dreamhost forum claim to have success with PHP Mailer package. Is that an alternative I could use with OCS? If so, where would I add the include, or basically, how would I set that up?

Thanks, Alan
apeterka

Re: PHP Mailer or Patch SMTP Gmail

Postby asmecher » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:36 am

Hi Alan,

No matter what you do, gmail (as I understand it) will send mail as though it's coming from your personal gmail account. This isn't a configuration issue on your side; it's a decision Google has made to prevent its use as an open mail relay. If you need emails to appear to come from someone other than yourself, you'll need to use a different SMTP server (or go back to local delivery).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby apeterka » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:13 pm

Hrm, Can I use a relay service like Amazon SES or SendGrid to do this?
apeterka

Postby asmecher » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:23 am

Hi apeterka,

As long as those provide SMTP services, you should be OK. However, it shouldn't be necessary to use a 3rd-party SMTP server -- your web host should typically offer SMTP services, often included in hosting packages.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OCS Technical Support